General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Need speeding ticket advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 05:18 PM
scole250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need speeding ticket advice

Looking for a little advice about how to handle a speeding ticket. I got impatient and passed a line of cars on a two lane road. I didn't realize how fast I had gotten up to until I pulled back in the right lane. My truck was wound up and I was going well over 70. So sooner than I got in the right lane and let up, a trooper came around the corner and got me. I got ticketed for 70 in a 55. My bad, no excuse. I just wish there would have been a little understanding that I tried to pass safetly, but got going too fast on the pass. The court cost and fine are not too bad, but I need to talk to my insurance agent to see that will be affected.

My question is whether it's worth hiring a lawyer to try to get it reduced? How often do they get it reduced? Is it worth calling the D.A. and talking to them myself or is best to let a lawyer do it? Cost aside, who will the D.A work better with? I'm not going to plead some b.s. excuse, only plead forgiveness. I have a spotless driving record, I'm a careful defensive driver and hope they're a little forgiving.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:33 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My speeding ticket advice: Don't speed. But you knew that already.

This largely depends on the state and I'm not sure as to the details of North Carolina's laws. In Washington State you have 3 options: Pay your ticket, dispute the ticket (go to court and try and prove you didn't do it) or you can opt to admit guilt but ask to explain your situation in which case they'll reduce the ticket but it will still be on your record meaning higher insurance premiums. Many states have special programs that can keep a ticket off your record if said record is spotless. Typically you'll have to pay the fine (sometimes reduced) still buy they'll not put it on your record. Sometimes this can involve going to a couple traffic classes.

I would recommend you do a Google search and look specifically for info regarding NC to see how your state laws are set up. Or perhaps another local can post up here if they know. Some states are very easy to work with so long as you don't have a slew of tickets. I wish Washington was but they're kind of hard ***** about it . . . which is why I've been driving too slow to ticket for 4 years now. (Knock on wood)

Good luck with it!

Btw, It will affect your insurance. 1 ticket probably won't affect it drastically but it will raise it some.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:36 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been a while since I've been in N.C. (assuming that's where you got nailed), but, with a clean record, you should be able to take a defensive driver course and have the ticket dismissed. Years ago when I was stationed at Ft. Bragg and got caught speeding, I took the course, got the ticket dismissed, and got to use the course for a discount on my insurance.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:41 PM
jimbeamalki
Senior User
Ain't worth the hassle. Mail it in.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:02 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
in IL, if you tell the judge you passed a line of cars on a 2 lane road, you might get improper lane useage.

the cheaper route would be to pay the ticket

Old 09-14-2006, 06:04 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
In this part of GA, if you go to court you can usually pledge to the next lowest charge/insurance point and pay a hefty fine along with 100+ people at the same time. Their way of clearing the court schedule and making some change. It might be worth showing up just to save on the insurance surcharge or throwing yourself on the mercy of the court. Especially if you have a clean record.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:23 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Around here, they have a "diversion program"--you pay a little more ($182 instead of $125), but you have to keep your nose clean for 6 months, otherwise you would forfeit the $182, plus pay the original ticket, plus the new one. The upside is, if you make it 6 months, they don't send it to the BMV, so no points go on your license, and your insurance company doesn't find out. My advice would be to NOT call your insurance company, call the court that is handling the ticket to find out your options. Oftentimes, they will be very helpful since you will likely be giving them some money no matter what.

Jason

Old 09-14-2006, 08:13 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EnviroCon
It's been a while since I've been in N.C. (assuming that's where you got nailed), but, with a clean record, you should be able to take a defensive driver course and have the ticket dismissed. Years ago when I was stationed at Ft. Bragg and got caught speeding, I took the course, got the ticket dismissed, and got to use the course for a discount on my insurance.
The main program (Defensive Driving Course) is offered by the Safety and Health Council of North Carolina....Their main web site is http://www.safetync.org. We offer the registration here in Mecklenburg County...and it's 4 hrs, and successful completion DOES negate insurance premium surcharges.....You register, bring your citation and the registration fee (generally about what the ticket would cost), take the class, get a certificate and voila'....Now this is a NC program, but the info I have is for Mecklenburg County, but check with your own county to see if you can take it locally (if offered) OR you may have to take it in the county that ticketed you...Just check. According to the Mecklenburg information, you are NOT eligible for the class if:

1. Your court date has passed or your charge is not listed above (there's 24 moving violations listed, and speeding IS one of them)
2. You have paid off the ticket or citation before class.
3. Your citation or ticket lists 2 or more moving violations.
4. You are charged with speeding in a work zone.
5. You have an out-of-state driver's license.
6. You completed the class in exchange for a PJC (Prayer for Judgement), or otherwise received a PJC in the last 3 years.

The class MUST be taken at least 2 weeks prior to your scheduled court date.

p.s. It also keeps driver's license points off, if no PJC in the previous 5 years....

p.p.s. They also STRONGLY recommend that you check with your insurance company first to see if they honor the class in keeping points off of your insurance.

Steve

Old 09-14-2006, 08:47 PM
George Frasier
Posting Guru
Red face Oops !

I'm not sure of the specifics in your area/state, but I'd plead "No Contest" and hope a clean record will get a reduced fine and/or court costs. I did something like that years ago and got court costs only. The ONLY reason I was registered in the state is because I was a registered voter, had a drivers license and a carry permit. Look small and sorry but confident when the baliff calls you.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:54 PM
surewhynot
Postmaster
I always take my tickets to court. Around this area the cops are usually too busy to go to traffic court. So when the ticketing officer doesn't show, I plea not guilty and it's over with. It's a gamble and not a good suggestion. It's just what goes on a lot around here.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:14 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
My brother was a lawyer here in Missouri and I used to have him fix my tickets when I got them. All he did was call the Prosecuting Attourney in the County and ask if we could bargin it down to a non-moving violation. After he moved away, I started calling myself. I can get it to a non-moving violation and it usually is double the regular fine. It's easy to fix if you want to, but the Prosecuting Attourney for your County is the one to call. They handle those cases.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:15 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I would think the trooper witnessed the numerous vehicles you passed beofre he got you.

This would be brought up any court as most police officers I know write up a " Transpiration Report" to reflect back on.

I'm with Jake00 on this one.

Passing more than 2 at a time is even considered improper lane usage in some circumstances.

The police don't want people to exceed the posted speed limit even when passing someone.

The idea is to have a nice orderly row of vehicles spaced out at a safe distance from each other and making things they way they were intended.
Safe and Secure

Old 09-14-2006, 09:29 PM
RP350
Freshman User
Most tickets are all about the money. You could probably speak to the prosecutor to reduce the ticket with a heavy fine and no points to you. Alot of states have heavy surcharge amounts. Ticket may cost $300-$400 but some times well worth it if you calculate insurance surcharge for 3 years and state surcharge if your state collects them also for three years. Plead not guilty go to court and speak to the prosecutor. Three things can happen, either trooper won't show up, or prosecutor will reduce charge, or you have to pay the fine anyway. Good Luck

Old 09-14-2006, 09:44 PM
furball69
Postmaster
An expert (the guy lobbying for 72MPH speed limits in the states) says that something like 85% of tickets can be fought and either reduced and or thrown out. There are probably ticket defense lawyers in your area, they may have a free consultation; I'd check them out.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:31 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Id pay it off. Like the old saying goes, you do the crime, ya do the time! Small price to pay really considering other stuff you have probably gotten away with over the years! I know when I get a legit ticket, I pay it off, and think of the ten times they didnt catch me doing something.

Quick Reply: Need speeding ticket advice