Need carb advice..86 electric choke

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 09:39 PM
franko
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need carb advice..86 electric choke

What recommendations do you have for a 2 bbl carb and maybe an adapter plate for this truck? I don't need anything special, just something better than the carter 1bbl.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:04 AM
j41385a
Senior User
There is A 2V to 1V adaptor, but people say that is like The 4V to 2V adaptor for V8's. Its a waste of time. It would be better to get an offy DP and get a 390 4v carb. Because that is recommended for stock engines. Along with that I would recommend a Header, or at the very least the Dual EFI manifolds.
If the engine can take in more air and fuel but not expel exhaust more efficently in combination it will be a minimal gain.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:45 AM
srercrcr
Postmaster
What do you mean by "better"?
Better fuel economy? More power? Better choke operation?

Old 09-13-2006, 05:33 PM
franko
Freshman User
Better in any way possible. I've pretty much narrowed my hesitation problem down to the carb, and I'm ready to replace it. I just don't have the money to get the Offy/Holley combo right now. I thought if I could find a decent used 2bbl and adapter, it'd probably be cheaper.
My fuel mileage sucks, the hesitation sucks, the power isn't what it should be because of the hesitation, the choke is just a little sticky, etc, etc, etc.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:32 PM
roscoe300
Freshman User
I can understand your problem here. Money is always an issue. However, i would not use an adapter. They never work right, i don't care what anyone says, they're junk. If i was you, i would have the carb you've got rebuilt, and then just save you pennies until you can either replace it, or swap it out for something more powerfull, but what every you do, do it right. Adapters will just screw it up. I can't tell you how many people buy those damn things and then end up kicking themselves for it. Headers are the same way. If you ever put headers on it, make sure they are good ones. The cheap headers are garbage, you'll fight them for the rest of your life. Have fun.