Sub Torture Test

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 10:04 AM
bigredtruck
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Sub Torture Test

Okay, maybe I have too much free time on my hands, but at least I am sharing the results of my boredom with others.

I have an Eclipse CD5000, JL 500/1, JL 300/4, JL 10W7, and clarion highs in the Ranger, and absolutely love the setup. It should be around for quite a while before I decide to upgrade again. The W7 is rated for 500 Watts nominal, warrantied to 1000 watts continuous.

I was surfing the net the other night, and somehow ended up on JC Whitney's website in the car audio section. I came across a Pile 10" square sub rated to 600 watts RMS and 1200 max. Cost: $49.00 plus shipping.

In short I couldn't pass this up. So it should be waiting for me to pick up from the parents house when I get home. I am working offshore, and I have time to play on my time off, and spend the occasional small amount of cash on senseless entertainment.

I have my buddies stereo shop getting a Kicker Solobaric 10" box ready to drop this thing into and plan to give it a torture test on the 500/1 with bass notes I know the W7 can handle to see how long it takes to make the magic smoke come out of the sub. I will shoot video of the test, as the shop wants to play it in thier DVD player display to show why buying a quality speaker with a lesser watt rating can be a better choice over a "really good deal" on a lesser brand, higher power rated speaker.

It's been quite a while since I updated my own webpage, but this will give me a reason to do it and post the video there to let everyone see.

Who knows, this things may survive it and surprise me, and worst case scenario, I have a cheap high power sub laying around afterwards. If so, it goes in the bass guitar amp cabinet.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:37 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I LOVE experimemts like this....

Although back in the day (95/96) I had a set of urban audio 12's that were supewr cheap, sounded decent, and I couldnt blow them