Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vinyl air flow tailgate VS. steel air flow tailgate

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Matti D
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vinyl air flow tailgate VS. steel air flow tailgate

My 1994 Ford F-150's tailgate is a little beat up. i was just wondering what i better, to go with a vinyl air flow tailgate, or a steel one? I can see the Vinyl one being better cause it's a lot lighter, but the steel one will of course be alot stronger. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with one of these or can give me some good advice.

-Matti

Old 09-09-2006, 01:34 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,136 Likes on 2,187 Posts
pickups are designed to use a tailgate in the up position to create an air bubble for proper air flow. by using an air flow or tailgate in the down position, you remove the bubble, and create a vortex in the back of the truck, and will suffer with lower gas mileage.
so to answer your question, the best tailgate to use is a new full gate like it was designed with.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:49 PM
cbslayer
Senior User
good answer i always see people riding with tailgate down or off I thought it was better for gas I never do it because where i live its illegal to have it down or off especially if you have anything in the bed

Old 09-11-2006, 07:37 PM
300-6cyl
Junior User
At the risk of highjacking this post to address the bubble theory, I have to comment. Let's assume you can trust the manufacturer's wind tunnel tests and such an air bubble even exists. Those tests are performed without anything in the bed of the truck. Once you have something in there - a tool box, a cooler, a spare tire, etc, that bubble will be thrown entirely out of whack.

Given my Ranger has over 225K I've experienced various mileage readings. I keep stuff in the bed of the truck all the time, I find that I get better mileage with the tailgate down.

As for the replacement tailgate - I would avoid the vinyl if it is just a web or net form, and go with the steel. I guess it all depends on what you prefer and what your budget is for it.

Gig

Old 09-11-2006, 09:15 PM
Blurry94
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I've read several test articles that prove fuel milage is better with the tailgate up. To help support that, I go to the track quite often to race my truck and I've noticed my trap speeds to be consistantly higher with my tailgate up. The only other method/part, that I've read about, to be better than that is to have a tonneau cover on the bed.
Me personally, I haven't experienced a loss in fuel milage with various items in the bed and the tail gate closed (these items were rather bulky, but not heavy enough to make a difference though I think).

Take a look at these links:
http://www.bitware.com/5er/tailgate.htm

http://www.truck-bed-covers.com/Tonn..._save_fuel.htm