89 Tempo 2.3L tesioner

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 11:05 PM
tgore3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 Tempo 2.3L tesioner

Has anyone had a problem with the belt tensioner for the ac and power steering pump hitting/chattering on the cover behind it? I'm not sure if the setup is the same on all 2.3's or what. It's got that one 6 rib with a spring loaded tensioner, a v-belt for the water pump, and a v-belt for the alternator.

I've replaced all the belts and that tesioner but it still does it. It's when the ac is on and in gear mostly, sometimes does it in park as well. The back of the tesioner hits that cover behind it, timing cover I think. Pretty annoying noise, I was pretty sure it was just the tensioner was worn out but it still does it w/ the new one. I snugged up the bolts on the cover to eliminate that possibility. Not sure what else to do. Anyone ever fixed or had this problem? Here is the tensioner that this 2.3 has. It hits pretty much right behind the pulley. AC compressor seems ok, I thought maybe the bearing or pully was bad, causing the tesioner to move, but it's nice and tight. Is there a spacer behind this thing? Does it need to be shimmed or something? I haven't a clue.

Last edited by tgore3; 08-30-2006 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:51 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Your 2.3 isn't the same as those covered in this forum, but that's okay. If you look closely at the tensioner it should have an indicator that shows a range of correct tension for the belt. Is the indicator within that range? I'm thinking that if the belt is too large (stretched or incorrect belt) then the tensioner will not put adequate tension on the belt and that could cause the problems you describe. Are you sure the belt is routed correctly?

Old 08-31-2006, 03:12 PM
tgore3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite certain the belt is routed correctly. Goes on crank, ac compressor, power steering pump, and the tensioner. There's really no other way to route it like some of the true serpentine setups.

I've got what is supposed to be the correct belt on there. I was sure a new belt and tensioner would do the trick. I don't see those wear indicators on this tensioner like normal, didn't see any on the old one I took off either.

Tensioner seems to be riding about in middle, pretty much where they normally run at. I might try a little shorter belt, can't recall how much clearance there was when I put this new one on. There's actually a raised spot on that cover right behind the pulley, that's what it's hitting on. If I could get the pulley to ride higher that raised part of the cover would be below it.