Sponsored by: DP Tuner

one of those weeks

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 11:45 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
one of those weeks

friday I was hearing a funny noise up front, pulled belt loose started spinning stuff and the alternator seamed to be th culprit, It had quite a bit of bearing rattle. Changed Alternator saturday noise went away, yeha. left for work today, monday, I have a new noise....Tensioner and Idler seam suspect they are both a little rough when I roll them. So I stop at NAPA pick up both and some coveralls cause I am in " work" cloths and 140 miles from home, change both in the parking lot and in the process find P/S pump had quite a bit of play in it. So I nerviously travel the 140 miles home. Pick up pump at local NAPA, start tear down, have new pump/pully installed/ on acessory bracket/ putting it back in truck/ decide to check waterpump shaft play and what do ya know. It's gone too.

They funniest thing is all the parts I changed where honestly bad. For now I have have to hop in the old reliable 73 landcruiser and gut it out for the rest of the week. I cover the whole state of oregon as a service territory so it could be a long week. Maybe a rental car is in my future.

As far as my cooling system go's I already have filterkit, evans coolant, spare filter on order from diesel site. I already have the 203* t stat and billit housing. I just hope my order gets here by friday.!!!!!!!!

thanks for listening to my tale. The little woman just looks at me like I am speaking Klingon when I try share my displeasure......and spent $240 on antifreeze.

Old 08-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, I was looking at that other evans coolant post thinking that stuff rocks, but it's gonna have to rock on without me. Not at that price. I would say you may want to don a construction helmet IOT protect you from a possible meteorite strike. You're having a bad week buddy.

Edit: how many miles and what is the year of your rig?

Old 08-29-2006, 01:06 AM
clem1226
Postmaster

2000 F350, 170K

I bought it used six months ago with 136K it already had ELC that I have been unable to idetify( it's dark red) and I just hadnt' gotten around to changeing it. Not that would have made much of a diference as the damage was probibly already done. I am looking forward to pretty much haveing my cooling maintance free though. I usually do about 1K a week so $220 + $79 for the filter set up will pay for itself real quick. I figure I will change the coolant filter every 10th oil change or so.

it'l be like a Ronco .....set it and forget it.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:17 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed. Good call. Curious to hear some results from that coolant. If I replace my pump, I may just go that route. I just find it hard to believe all that pooped out all at once or at least at that mileage.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:21 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My idler and tensioner went out as well about 2 weeks after changing my alternator last year. Water pump lasted a little longer though.

Duncan

Old 08-29-2006, 10:09 AM
clem1226
Postmaster

mine would probibly make it down the road a little longer as it's not leaking any water yet. None of components had hard failed yet but I rarely listen to the radio adn drive mostly rural freeway so I am a lot more apt to pick up on a strange noise than some poor soul that has to spend 3 hours a day surrounded by who knows how many othrer cars makeing strange noises of their own.