twilight zone and my modified

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 02:38 AM
roger dowty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
twilight zone and my modified

my 77 150 4x4 has a modified in it- building the 400 for it- got a donor block and crank that most know about as far as my build etc.

I was driving the truck on occassion- it has a semi recent reman- all stock except performer intake and carb- no smog. It was used hard i think.

Anyway it had been leaking oil out of the rear main big time- but never really needed any oil- decent puddles everytime it's parked so I thought maybe the fuel pump was leaking into it- but nope- oil stayed thick- I did put some stp in it in case- a weak moment. (thinking maybe the c6 tranny is what has been leaking out of front seal? from what i've heard it can look just like oil when dirty which it is- the tranny is being replaced so i haven't screwed with it.

I was driving it a few motnhs ago and all of a sudden got some lifter noise- then louder- checked everything out and had it towed home where it has been sitting. i drain the oil today and when the threads just got loose new looking antifreeze came out of it- green as new antifreeze can be- maybe 1/16th of a cup- just a little- then the oil as black as any used oil you would see- no milky color. I took the cap off the radiator and it was pressurized- hadn't been run in weeks. The oil filter- a fram super duper expensive model- didn't know they were crap yet- and it was very heavy- drained maybe 1/3 of what would normally come out and then nothing- but still heavy so i let it sit to drain which is does a little- very thick oil- threw it away after i had it draining for 10-20 minutes- still very heavy- the oil and filter had about 3500 miles on it max- probably less.

I had to move it and i figure the engine is toast so i start it up with fresh oil- good pressure- started right away but it definitely toast- was able to move it so i can swap motors when ready.

any explanations regarding new antifreeze out of the plug and black oil with pressurized radiator?

I find it weird and will tear the engine down to have a look see- need to ck out block and heads anyway.

later

Old 08-28-2006, 02:47 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
A radiator can show "pressure" with environmental temp and pressure changes, even with a leaking head gasket etc.

New antifreeze in the bottom of the pan... Does it look like the stuff in the radiator? If so it could be an internal leak, or maybe someone poured some AF in the wrong hole???

Black thick oil in the filter means it was long overdue for a change. Mileage is not the only oil change factor. A misfire or badly adjusted carb can add extra material into the pan as well as abnormal wear anywhere in the engine. Overheating can also cause the oil to sludge up.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:59 PM
roger dowty
Posting Guru
af was same as in radiator- surprised me that it seemed so clean in the bottom of the pan. I figured a head gasket problem along with other problems that probably occured first. And environmental pressure would account for radiator- only sludge was in the filter all other oil was smooth and consistent.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
The filter gathers the gunk, -which is it's function.

Last edited by Torque1st; 08-28-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:10 AM
roger dowty
Posting Guru
Now This ....

right. never had experienced that and I've changed a lot of filters. but kind of thought it was to filter things!

Anyway it continues today- I had 1.7 roller tip rocker on my w build which were not at all centered on the valve tip- so my mechanic friend said to get some 1.6...ordered them in (full roller-overnight) and wala same story- i told my kid he would drive this rig to first day of school and by God he will- it's been a heck of an intense project. Anyway I decided to try the push rods that i got for my 400 with roller lifters (a bit shorter) and they fit perfectly- just shy of centered when valve is closed and on the opposite side when open etc. lucked out there...then i was finishing putting them on and noticed the coolant was down- oil was overfilled- cussed for 5-10 minutes and drained the oil to find antifreeze- just finished pulling the intake off- looks like its the problem- will compression ck tomorrow just in case. not sure what do different.

man i'd hate to do this for a living!

any ideas? the gasket was saturated on all four of the outer water jackets. the coolant had been pretty well drained prior to

Old 08-30-2006, 07:06 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
I am not sure what to do on a wheezer. It has been many years since I had one of those open. I sure hate those wet intakes tho...