Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Serious documentation

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 10:21 PM
ccg711
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Serious documentation

Ok everyone, anyone who remembers my posts knows I've had serious problems with my truck. I'm still convinced I've got fuel issues, but I know that my engine has been dusted. I've seen an inspection of a properly running 7.3 and know that I have WAY TOO MUCH blowby. just had to see it to believe it. I'm going to try and minimize engine smoking in the meantime, but I want to accumulate parts and tools for some serious engine work including full rebuild. I've never attempted an engine rebuild b4, even on a gasser, but I'm not afraid to try, I just want some info. Does anyone know of international docs to supplement my ford service CD, or a good reference book to have when checking tolerances and asking about machining work. you know, full procedures and tips to make a better motor in regards to a diesel. thanks in advance.
Chad

Old 08-24-2006, 10:54 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whoa, have you done a compression test? Mine blows exh from my ccv mod but that because I have 543k miles. Are you always blowing blue or white smoke?

Old 08-25-2006, 12:05 AM
ccg711
Senior User
right now I'm blowing fuel rich smoke out exhaust pipe. i call it white. gets worse once engine gets hot which is reverse of smoke caused by worn rings. but the airbox on truck was broke when I got it and the compressor wheel on the turbo is shot, and if you pull the oil filler cap, it has considerable blowby compared to one I saw with comparable miles and earlier year model. shoots maybe 12 inches (guestimate) above filler cap and quite visible. truck i saw inspected had almost no blowby when cold compared to mine at any temp. I know it has to happen. just a matter of time, but I'm still convinced majority of smoke, especially given fuel smell, is an injector problem right now. dealer never filed title on it, so i'm taking some time off work tommorrow to go pound his head in. been like 4 months. I know he never filed cause he never cashed the seperate check I wrote him for TT&L, shady character at best. not going to work on it any more till I get title. No I've seen the "7.3 bible" and I have the ford service manual CD, but I'm looking for something dealing with basic teardown, inspection, and rebuild proceedures along with tips of things to look out for and what to expect if I take it to a machine shop to have anything machined on the block, crank, heads, what have you. I'm looking at an out of frame overhaul kit, with new sleeves. anybody have suggestions as to how I need to approach this? Just researching right now.
Chad
99 f350 7.3 auto 3.73 SRW LB CC 6637

Old 08-25-2006, 09:39 AM
nodakford
Senior User
Here is the link to Navistar on line manual.
http://www.nav-international.com.br/...rStroke/hs.asp

Old 08-25-2006, 01:00 PM
ccg711
Senior User
yeah saw that link earlier. it provides more insight than the ford manual does, but I'm not very familiar with the enitre process of rebuilding. sure the manuals talk about torque specs and what not, but what kind of things need to be checked and measured for a "fine tooth comb" kind of rebuild. I'm stickler for overkill, If I'm gonna tear into, I'm gonna get everything in one shot, no repeats, enough money and labor will have gone into it, i want it to last for a while. looking at a full kit from agkits.com which is from FP diesel. also a local parts dealer here that sells them, will check his price and see if he can match or beat them. he's the shop i've gotten injectors from. good set of guys. most of my wrenching has been sensors and ancillery parts on gas engines. never tore down into one to the point of worrying about tolerances and what not. wish i knew a good mechanic in my area I could bum advice from.
Chad

Old 08-25-2006, 01:39 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
You're making me jealous. I used to build my own very expensive drag racing engines, in my much younger days. I could not imagine taking a project like that on anymore. I would call the premier diesel shop in your area and ask them whom does their machine work. The most important thing is clearances and quality of new parts. Heads and valves and block deck work has to be pretty important also. Please keep us informed of your progress. Jeez, nowadays all this electronic crap makes me dizzy just thinking about yanking the motor.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:44 PM
ccg711
Senior User
yeah normally i would be worried about pulling a motor with so many sensors and what not, but most if not all of it runs through the main engine harness with one disconnect on left valve cover, undo the connector, then pull motor, and sort out and undo sensors at your leasure. I'm just trying to get an idea of any "must reads" out there. i'm wanting to know what to check for so I know what may need to be machined i guess.
Chad

Old 08-25-2006, 01:51 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
I would say make friends (a Franklin maybe) with the best machine shop you can find. Listen to what they suggest. You will probably need the manuels when it is time to put the whole thing back together. If you are going to use the old cam, lifters and rocker arms, rods, and pistons number them and put them back where they came from. I would spring for new everything in the valve train myself. HAVE FUN!

Old 08-25-2006, 02:09 PM
gseeders
Senior User
I dont thank the 7.3 is a wet sleeve engine! you'll want a machine shop to bore the cylinder walls.
gseeders

Old 08-25-2006, 10:33 PM
ccg711
Senior User
yeah i thought it might be sleeved. agkits.com listed sleeves with the kits, but had a talk with local parts dealer today who informed me the sleeves are for patching up the block, same kit, no sleeves for $895. includes pistons, rings, all bearings, upper/lower gaskets for like $895. course he's local so I'll pay sales tax, but the shop is a known quantity. both kits are from fp-diesel (federal mogul) and the local shop is a chain or franchise of some sort here in texas with all sorts of accredidations. much better known quantity. also checked on my title today, never got filed cause i wrote the check for too much on the tt&l, so maybe not as shady as i thought, but they should have called me in 4 months, guess they are just absent minded like I am.
Chad

Old 08-26-2006, 05:42 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
One of the greatest pleasures that I have in life is starting up a new engine after I rebuilt it and noting how much better it runs and sounds. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Old 08-26-2006, 05:39 PM
ccg711
Senior User
been meaning to ask, I've seen pics on the forum of people having the motor service and the dealer pulls the cab off the frame. sounds cool, but realistically, for a shadetree mechanic, is it easier to do that or just rip apart the front end and pull the motor forward? any suggestions?
Chad

Old 08-26-2006, 05:53 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
I'm really looking forward to you doing this because it is something I would flat out love to do but I am probably unable to do it anymore for more reasons than one. Looking at mine, I think I would remove the hood and all of the plumbing, you know radiator and all the other stuff related to cooling various things and try to lift it out at a 70 degree angle, tranny and all. Are 30 over pistons and exotic cams available? I could really get into a project like this. Like I said in an earlier post, have fun!

Old 08-26-2006, 06:18 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
dont think anyone has made a cam yet or had one ground that did anything for the truck.

Old 08-26-2006, 07:59 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Yes, this will be very fun to follow. I have been thinking about finding a dusted engine in moderate shape to rebuild but not sure if I really want to dive that far into it. Are you thinking of doing more or a performance rebuild or a OEM rebuild? Myself, I am thinking of doing a performance rebuild but haven't researched much of what is out there.

Quick Reply: Serious documentation