Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Clutch fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Dwid
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Clutch fixed!

I just finished putting on a LUK clutch. I don't think I will be going through slave cylinders anymore. A local Ford mechanic took the time to talk to me and immediately suggested that the "O" ring at the clutch slave was going because it was the weakest part of the hydraulic system and that too much force was being required to mechanically disengage the clutch. I took my old dual mass clutch out and it needed replacing (dry pilot bearing, 3/4" movement ...) but I didn't really find anything binding, just worn. After puting in the Luk I think the Ford mechanic was right, the clutch pedal seems like it requires 1/4 the pressure, shifts smoother, doesn't grab near the floor etc. The second thing I noticed is its alot quieter in my cab. I guess my only problem now is my left leg won't be as strong as before.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:39 PM
kf4hoq
Freshman User
Clutch questions

Where did you purchase your clutch and how much did it cost? What kind of truck do you have?

Old 08-24-2006, 11:54 PM
Dwid
Freshman User
93 7.3 factory turbo. I changed to a solid flywheel and clutch, both from Luk. I purchased it locally her in Port Coquitlam, B.C. and the cost was (ouch) 1000.00 plus tax. The old clutch still worked OK but I did not realize how bad it was. I am very pleased with the result. If you're in the US I think the cost is closer to 600 dollars, just google Luk and you'll get some hits. Hope this helps Kf4hoq.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:57 PM
Mr. Bob
Elder User
Cool! good to hear you got it all fixed!!

there are sure a lot of people from BC in the IDI forum... I live in sunny tsawwassen

where did you get you clutch and flywheel from???

Bob

Old 08-25-2006, 11:06 AM
Dwid
Freshman User
I phoned LUK's head office and asked for the distributor in BC. It's located in Delta (I've forgotten the name, sorry). They sell only wholesale, but the fellow gave me some local distributors. I bought mine at Meridian Auto Parts but there were at least 3 distributors in my area. Hope this helps.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Dwid
Freshman User
I should add that Luk's clutch kit doesn't include the pilot bearing. A clutch alignment spline also isn't included like some other kits but as the clutch disk is just slightly smaller than the pressure plate it's really easy to align by touch.