Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New gauges

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 04:58 PM
AlaskaF350PS
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New gauges

I need to put in some gauges to monitor my beast. Have spent too many years not knowing what was going on under the hood . Am going with a 3-gauge pillar mount, first two gauges will obviously be egt and boost. Question: with a 6-spd tranny, which is more important to monitor for problems (especially since I don't tow much anymore)--fuel pressure or tranny temp? On the manual tranny is temp even that big of a deal as opposed to the automatics?

Also, which gauges most match the stock? Have heard the Isspros look sharp/match well, but I notice that just about everybody has different gauges on FTE . Which would be best?

Slightly off topic, I am considering a way of pulling my own codes (for those who don't know me, got burned by a shop). A tuner that would give me the codes is out of the question right now (and should be one of the last mods on my list, anyway....right?). Which is the best way to go--pony up the money for one of the "professional" enhanced OBD-II readers that will get codes off a PS, or go with a computer-based like Auto Engenuity (already have a laptop)? The AE would be cheaper it appears, but is it as accurate/capable?

Thanks again, guys!

Kevin

Old 08-21-2006, 05:09 PM
John311t
Postmaster
With a manual transmission you do not to to monitor transmission tempautures. So i would go with fuel pressure.

Old 08-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AE is the training tool for ford. check out the forum at http://forums.itpdiesel.com/ I love mine and find it very easy to use

Old 08-21-2006, 08:17 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fuel pressure is very expensive in relation to the other gauges. the gauge and sender (elec) is about $185 or so, where i have found them. the oil pressure, water temp, and oil temp are all cheaper, in the $50-$60 range. if i were you, i would go with a water temp gauge.

i have Autometer Sport Comps and love them. match perfectly, looks like they should have been there to begin with.

a crappy pic, but here is the one i have of them. you're right i need to get a better pic

Old 08-21-2006, 09:13 PM
DaveWilliams
Elder User
Thumbs up True perfect match

The ISSPRO's are green background lighted, with the red see through type needles exactly like the factory gauges and personally they are the easiest to read. They are in either 10 or 5 pound or degree incriments and really a snap to install. Go with the Water temp and Oil pressure if you have the space. I bit the bullet and went with 6 gauges total......the standard EGT, Tranny temp, Boost and I added oil press, water temp and air pressure for my air horn system....Bottom line, whatever you choose you will benifit from knowing what is going on under the hood, but for my $$$ it was ISSPRO from Diesel Manor.....

Old 08-21-2006, 09:17 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dave, i want to see your gauges. pics please?

Old 08-21-2006, 09:48 PM
DaveWilliams
Elder User
Question Gauge pics

I just got back from taking pics...email me harleydude1@juno.com and I can send them to you. I have them on my hard drive and not on a websight...sorry.....Dave

Old 08-22-2006, 06:42 AM
DaveWilliams
Elder User
Finally got pics posted this morning

Here are some pics of the gauges I was talking about. They are incredibly like the the factory gauges. Sorry for the flash burn but it was almost 11 at night..

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...95967588OfToEs

Hopefully this link works........Dave

Old 08-22-2006, 08:35 AM
pbr man
Elder User
I have Dipricol Optix gauges and really like them. They match the factory dash and work great.

http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/gauges

This is where I got mine and came with everything needed to install. Give them a call, good guys to deal with.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:17 AM
powerstroken090
New User
I'm running Auto Meter Sport-Comps just like Strokin_It7.3 is. I dig the looks! I have no trans temp though (6-speed) just pyro and boost. Hey, you know what will drop right in your 3rd instrument hole... A Banks Six-Gun Tuner! Do it to it.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:16 PM
Mark at DPPI
Elder User
AlaskaF350PS,

I am all over selling products, but unless you plan major mods down the road you don't need a fuel pressure gauge in a 7.3 PSD. Just get a pyro and boost and you'll be fine. Take a look at the DiPricol's they match the stock truck better than anything else in my opinion, the Isspro's are a close second. You can see them on our site if you want. The DiPricol's also get you a stpeer motor pyro that reacts faster and is more accurate. They just introduced a stepper motor trans temp too that has a 270 degree needle sweep. Call us if you have any questions etc.

Mark @ DPPI

Old 08-23-2006, 05:05 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that a pyro and boost are the place to start. HOWEVER. The factory installed gauges are just glorified idiot lights. If you have the money to spend, I'd do it. I also think that a fuel pressure gauge is a handy troubleshooting tool. Just my .02.

Duncan