Notices

Removing water spots from auto glass?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 03:25 PM
TJFoxx
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lawheelsdirect
I don't know if this really works but a friend has hard water and he swears he washes his truck with cascade dishwashing soap and it helps big time... Who knows.
Won't that strip all the wax off your vehicle?

Old 09-23-2008, 07:56 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by TJFoxx
Won't that strip all the wax off your vehicle?
as does blue dawn....and then you wax her.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:41 AM
GregsSD
Posting Guru
I used to have well water where i lived and had bad waterspots. I would just get some polishing or rubbing compound and some terrycloths and after a while of rubbing they would look like new!!!

I highly recommend washing your car or truck with the Mr Clean Autodry sprayer!!! It works very well and when you finish washing you just switch it to "spot free rinse" and mist it over everything and it dries spot free!!!

The "spot free rinse" setting has a filter in it so you dont have all the minerals spraying out with the water.

Buy Mr. Clean AutoDry Car Wash Online at drugstore.com

Old 09-30-2008, 03:49 PM
I-HATE-THIEVES
New User
I know this sounds far fetched, and don't try this on the windshield, but try WD40!
If you do some research on the development you'll see it was invented by aerospace engineers to keep circuit dry on electrical circuit boards for space rockets. There isn't any flammable liquids, and on shower doors it's amazing.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:26 PM
timcos
Senior User
I have heard clay bar would work on getting contaminants off of glass...would this work for hard water spots?

Tim

Old 12-24-2008, 04:42 PM
snow4life
New User
look no more people, i have fought this battle with water spots and finally i have figured it out.....long story short i've tried just about every glass cleaner you can buy..you name it i bought it i even tried CLR...ketchup...ammonia and even lime away nothing worked but....THIS WORKS!!!!! i promise you....k here it is....buy some steel wool (0000) grade only bc the other stuff WILL scratch your glass...and the other ingredient is called 3M rubbing compound...it is supposed to remove scratches and water spots...use the 3M with the steel wool and your water spots will be gone....mind you i just spent 4 hours polishing every window on my truck but it works....you have to rub it in real good then after you get it to a haze wipe it off with a microfiber towel....you can buy the rubbing compound at any auto zone or advanced auto prob. has it too....sorry about the long book i just wrote but believe me this stuff works if you have any questions feel free to ask and id be more than happy to answer them....ive honestly read every forum on the internet about water spots and nothing worked except for what i just told you...enjoy

Old 12-30-2008, 09:33 AM
OrangeJuice
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, so I found a way to remove water spots by accident. I had some dried tree sap on my windsheild and used some mineral spirits to remove it and discovered it also removed any and all water spots. Just wipe it on clean dry glass. Works great!

Old 01-12-2009, 12:57 PM
djmontowski
New User
The best stuff I have ever used is called Invisible glass and u can get it
at Walmart in the auto section. I truly makes the glass look invisible.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:49 PM
RonC80
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for some really great info

Old 02-25-2009, 08:17 AM
Kearnsboo
New User
Removing water spots from auto glass

This worked for me, "BAR KEEPERS FRIEND". I found it by the Comet at the local Wal-Mart. I mix it with water in a bowl and made a paste out of it. I used a towel and rub it on the wet windshield in a waxing motion. I later sprayed it off and Bada Bing, no spots ! Like others, I have tried vinegar, CLR , scotch bright pads etc.. This took me about 20 min using no more effort than normal waxing.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:37 AM
DS357
New User
What about working around Rear Window decals? If I melt my bosses stickers...he is going to kick my butt!

Old 04-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Kearnsboo
New User
I'm really not sure. I'm not a car guy, I just stumbled on to this after trying several different things. I would tape over the sticker to be safe. If your worried about chemical melting of the sticker I don't think that's going to happen.

Good luck, let me know how this works out for you.

Mike

Old 10-07-2009, 08:57 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,288 Likes on 1,089 Posts
Thumbs up

My newly purchasec 07 had bad water spots on all the glass, worst of it was on the sunroof.

Vinigar no good,
cleaner wax no good,
windex no good,
polishing compound no good,
.... CLR even no good.

Used this stuff called "Spot-X" I found at Home Depot. Done it today. Man! .... Squeeky clean, spotless. You can feel it work, goes from rough feel (the etched on deposits) to gliding across the glass (no deposits remain). It's a powder and you apply it to a course sponge supplied, then dab a little water on with your two fingers, and make a paste and just rub it on. No acids involved, no damageing corrosion of anything, just rinse off and dry window.

2007 S-cab with sunroof, did W-shield, sides, back, and roof all in less than 30 minutes. Could hardly believe the ease of use.

Spot-X = Great Product!

Old 10-08-2009, 07:40 AM
timcos
Senior User
I have found a new solution...visit your local auto glass replacement place...see if they have PPG's Aquapel...fantastic stuff...I had it applied and drove through some rainstorms on a 1000 mile trip to my HS reunion....never turned on windshield wipers.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:35 PM
kubiszewski
New User
I would use windex but use newspaper too wipe off!!

Quick Reply: Removing water spots from auto glass?