Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Flex pipe intake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 09:26 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flex pipe intake?

as some of you may know, i have the ATS compressor on backorder and it should be here very, very soon. i have had this idea in the back of my head for a while, and i wanted to throw it out for you to think about. since my ATS inlet is 4", and the filter inlet is 4", why not use one piece of exhaust flex pipe bent the way it needs to be bent, for the best flow? the only drawback i have came to think about is the sealing part. i know it seals well under pressure, but does it seal well under a vacuum? (like a QD fitting)

if this is relatively close to a "good" idea, i would think about painting it blue to match the rest of the crap under the hood, bending it, and then putting a silicone spray covering on it to seal out the dirt...

does this sound like a good idea?

Old 08-14-2006, 09:31 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 08-14-2006, 09:37 PM
yellow401
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HAHAHA I tried this when I installed my ATS in combo with my Mac intake. I used some bendable/ flexable air cond. or fireplace tubing from Home depot that I rigged to work in the right angles. then I used band clamps etc to tighten everything down. Finally I used rivits to hold the flexible angles in the tubing where I wanted them and I sprayed all the piping with rubberized truck bedliner spray to seal all the cracks!

Turned out to be a real waste of time and a little money!! It ended up looking like crap, at least to me, and I felt that it was just "not right" Luckly I was able to modify the Mac intake tubing and parts to allow for a real clean and "correct" install. I'll have to get you some pics!
I know I'm telling you about something that did not work but it is funny that you have thought of something similar. Now using flexible exhaust tubing may work out better! Good Luck!

Old 08-14-2006, 11:12 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
My first thought would be something similar to Yellow's experience. Plus the harder steel that the flex pipe is made out of would quickly gouge out the aluminum intake shoulder that you would be clamping it to.
I wouldn't bother Kris.
And Kevin that's a kickin' website.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:14 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for the opinions. guess i will just take the boot i get in the ATS (connects to stock plastic CCV inlet thingie) and then use some custom bend 4" piping to the filter, the plastic wiggler thing has to go.