Sponsored by: DP Tuner

1 bad experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 10:22 PM
ponch37300
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 bad experience

I was bidding on an ebay auction for a van turbo, ats housing, ww, and the downpipe adaptor about two weeks ago along with a bunch of you from this site. I stopped bidding at 600 dollars and lost the auction. About a week later i recieved an email from the seller giving me a second chance offer saying the winning bidder didn't come threw with the money. I was excited and sent him my shipping info so he could have ebay start the deal. I recieved an email from ebay saying that i had to pay threw western union and the seller dropped the shipping charges and would split half the western union fee. He was from sweedon. I needed to send the money, fax the money transaction number to a number listed on this email from ebay, then ebay would tell the seller to ship me the item, i then had 5 days to tell ebay the item was good and they would release the western union transaction number to the seller to go pick up his money. I had a bad feeling but decided it was a good deal and would go threw with it. When i tried to send the money western union on the internet it said i had to call to finish my transaction. Called and the lady said they couldn't send the seller any money cause he was on a list for ebay scams. Luckily she saved me almost 700 dollars. Sorry this really isn't a 7.3 topic but thought i would post it here in case this seller trys to scam anyone else with this.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:47 PM
Chance_Thomas
More Turbo
Thanks for the info.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:59 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of the time those second chance offers are scams. They also typically lead you to a site that isn't really ebay, although it looks like it. I'd report it to ebay and seriously consider changing your password on eBay...especially if you logged in under a page that was sent in an email since it may not have actually been eBay. Change your PayPal password too. And you might consider calling the credit agencies and putting a fraud alert out on your credit report. If this guy did get any of your info, there's no telling what he might do. Not trying to scare you, but looking out for you.

If you ever get an email that looks like it's from ebay, with a link in it, it might be fake. You can always open a new window, log onto eBay that way, where you put the address in the browser, and go to your messages. If the message was really sent through eBay, it will show up in your messages on eBay.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:00 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
You really have to be careful on ebay. I've done a lot of selling and buying over the years and have had mostly good luck. I would never deal with Western Union for payment, that always raises a red flag for me. If you are not sure about a message you received from ebay, forward it to spoof at ebay dot com. They will let you know if it is authentic. I get very real looking emails from "ebay" nearly every day, they are all scams. Never log into your ebay account via a link in an email, always go right to ebay and log in. Sorry to ramble, just be careful. There are a lot of real scum bags out there who want our cash, we need that for mods!

I'm glad you didn't get scammed!

edit: you beat me to it JT.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:07 PM
indebt
Posting Guru
its a new scam these ******* thieves are trying now, with all ebay items. Alegit 2nd chance offer will be through ebay in your new mail account. Never buy anything from some one wanting to go outside ebay!!!!

Old 08-09-2006, 04:57 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
I am on the market for $2000 fitness machine.
Got a second chance offer as well, so emailed the sender, that I can be at his place with cash in 3 days. Never have heard from him again
It is amazing how many hijacked account I have run into searching for the machine.
A seller with 20 feedbacks is having 50 items for sale.
$1 for new Husqavarna chain saw, $10 for laptop, $20 for plasma big screen.
I placed 40 bids with them (all 24 hr listings) and all of them got canceled by ebay few hr later
It is a jungle out there.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:09 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is that the turbo that Rampage_f350 won? he said he already got it and it was out for rebuilding and poilishing.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:47 AM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it was strokin

Old 08-09-2006, 09:05 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by jtharvey
If you ever get an email that looks like it's from ebay, with a link in it, it might be fake. You can always open a new window, log onto eBay that way, where you put the address in the browser, and go to your messages. If the message was really sent through eBay, it will show up in your messages on eBay.
Another good way to tell is taking a long hard look at the web address that pops up in your browser when you get one of those links. An ebay address will always be www.ebay.com/whateverelse or http://signin.ebay.com and ebay will always be part of that web address unless of course you go into a sellers store. A faulty web address will look different.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:24 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Smokin'
An ebay address will always be ... or http://signin.ebay.com .... A faulty web address will look different.
I believe it should have an "s" after the http to signify it's a secure server, like this: https://signin.ebay.com/

I actually had one that was disguised and looked a whole lot like a legitimate address, but what tipped me off to it being fake was the lack of the "s" in the address.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
I had someone just pull 1200 bucks out of my checking acct via paypal and it was in England before I knew it. Paypal eventually gave me my money back, but it took two weeks and a notorized statement on my part.

Don't send any more money than you are prepared to throw away to a person without at least 100 positive feedbacks and no more than 1 negatives per hundred.

Also, don't buy ANYTHING from overseas.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:14 PM
05f250fx4
Senior User
i got that second chance offer as well

Old 08-09-2006, 04:14 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
The turbo you guys are talking about is the one I won. Ponch, I thought you knew that! Anyway, that van EBPV is yours when ever you do get a van turbo.