Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 F150 5.0l stalliing problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 08:04 AM
d_stange
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 F150 5.0l stalliing problem

This just started happeing about 2 days ago. Now that i advertised this truck in the paper because i bought my diesel it seems to be mad at me. It will start fine and run good going down the highway untill i start to slow down at a stop sign and want to downshift it will die. It will start right back up but i have to kiip my foot on the gas. I don't get it. It won't do it all the time though. Then on sat the starter would barly turn it over. I went to a buddy's place to grab my other baler and i couldn't get it restarted. Turned over really slow. Went and helped bale a load of straw and came back about an hour later and it turned over fine. started up and didn't act up at all on the way home pulling the baler. I put a ignition module and pick up on it about 15000 miles ago. He said it might be the coil shorting out when it gets hot and the starter might also be going out. Any thoughts. I want to sell this truck but i don't like selling something that don't at least run decent.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:11 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 979 Likes on 773 Posts
Stalling could be a vacuum leak. Does your truck maintain some vacuum after the engine is shut off? It should. Pull a vacuum line and listen for the hiss. Do you have the metal juice can looking thing on the passenger inner fender? These rust out on the bottom. Later trucks had plastic vacuum canisters.
Slow starter could be corroded battery posts, or any other connection between the starter and battery including the engine ground.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:54 AM
d_stange
Senior User
i put in a new battery and pos battery cable. Why would it only crank slow when it's hot and not when it's cool? Usally a bad conection is a all the time thing isn' it?

Old 08-07-2006, 02:41 PM
d_stange
Senior User
i will also say the engine light will come on and off when it is idleing.