1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Flushing the radiator...66 F100 I6 240

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 04:15 PM
arnolan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flushing the radiator...66 F100 I6 240

Forgive me for what may be an easy question, but what is involved in flushing the radiator on a 66 inline 6, 240, f100?

What are the steps?

Thanks!

Old 08-08-2006, 10:00 AM
dendyr
Senior User
Start with removing the upper and lower hoses. Clamp or seal off the upper hose and remove the radiator cap. Then seal a garden hose in the lower radiator hose and turn on the water. This will back flush the radiator. If you want flush the block as well. Just remove and replace the thermastat and put a garden hose in the thermastat hole and flush the block.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:40 PM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

I have used prestones fast flush and have been amazed aas to what it got out. Read the instructions on the bottle it is pretty easy. I remove the current anti freeze and fill with water, than I add the fast flush and run the engine up to operating temperature for about 30 minutes. Than let the engine cool and drain I always flush with plenty of water and fill with clean water and run up to temp again. Drain and add new coolant. Don't forget to leave the heater on max heat to flush that unit also.

If the radiator is really bad remove it and take it to a good radiator shop and have it boiled or rodded.