1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Hood alignment

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 07:27 PM
hiwy50
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood alignment

Need help with hood alignment. The gap at the rear and sides are perfect but one front corner sticks out about 3/8 farther than the fender. Can I pull the corner back with the hood rods or will the hood kink?? Thanks everybody

Old 08-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is your M-100?

I assume that you are saying one front corner sticks out from the same shape corner on the fender. You may be able to move it some with the rods. I have done that, but if you try to pull too much, it tends to warp the hood shape and give you a problem somewhere else.

What you probably should do is move the fender forward to match the contours. I would move the inner and outer fenders together by loosening the bolts at the cowl and firewall angle. You should be able to get about 1/4". You can also elongate those holes to get more.

I see your truck has a nice paint job. So, when you loosen the fender-to-cowl bolts, slip a piece of cardboard between the cowl and fender and tape it to the cowl before you start pushing the fender forward. That will protect the paint from scratches. You could also use masking tape on the cowl, but I find it harder to do than the cardboard.

If I didn't understand your question correctly...nevermind.

Old 08-04-2006, 02:27 PM
fking1
Elder User
I have never seen a 53-55 good hood fit. Best one can do is get a compromise all around fit. I played with mine for days and finally quit with a so-so fit. You should be able to pull the corner in a bit with the hood rods.
Good Luck,

Fred

Old 08-04-2006, 06:00 PM
hiwy50
Junior User
Randy-- I had resigned myself to elongating the fender holes but I thought there may be a better way. It is not the truck pictured, started a 55 panel truck. Thanks for the info. Richard

Old 08-04-2006, 06:50 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
I was able to get the front hood corners/fender corners flush by loosening the cowl bolts and the core support bolts then adjusting the rods that go from the front of the fenders back to the cowl. Took a little time but it worked.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:15 PM
53fatfndr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by fking1
I have never seen a 53-55 good hood fit. Best one can do is get a compromise all around fit. I played with mine for days and finally quit with a so-so fit. You should be able to pull the corner in a bit with the hood rods.
Good Luck,

Fred
I'll second that

Old 08-06-2006, 10:25 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 474 Likes on 309 Posts
If the sides are good then the fender needs to come in at the cab and be slid back. Sliding the fender back without moving it in will cause the gap to widen. Has the cab ever been damaged?