Sponsored by: DP Tuner

stupid freakin fuel leak!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 06:30 PM
Hiflyer746
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stupid freakin fuel leak!!!

Ok, I bought dieselsites CPRX fuel system. Bob shorted me on one of the fuel fittings. The one that goes goes into the rear passenger side head. Fuel flows out of the head into the regulator. Anyway, its just an AN fitting with a 1/8 NPT into the head, and a 1/4 flare on the other end. I found at my hangar an aluminum one, that would be a temporary fix to get my truck running so i could get bob to send me another one. it took bob forever to send me something, and by that time, I had a pretty good leak going. I put a brass one in as a better temporary solution to the aluminum. That leaked just as bad. So bob sends me the wrong fitting, and I go find one myself. If you want something done, you have to do it yourself right? Well I put it in, and its still leaking. it only seams to leak when the engine is running, not when the pump is running. I believe the flare is seating properly, as I can see a ring all the way the brass one from where the flare on the line seats onto it. I'm told I'm supposed to use teflon tape on the pipe thread. As thats what the instructions recommended. So what do you guys think the leak is. I can't see it when its running. . . so its hard to tell. I'm wondering if excess teflon tape is preventing it from sealing, but then why did it start leaking in the first place? Sorry for the length, I hate leaks, and I hate doing things twice.
Tim

Old 08-03-2006, 06:37 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tim, when i did my fuel system, i was instructed to put pipe dope on the threads that stick into the head. not on the one that attaches to the hose, however, i guess they are self-sealing. the stuff that was included in my kit was "Pipe Thread Compound". it is leaking at the head right?

Old 08-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Hiflyer746
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think

yeah I think its leaking out of the head, because as I mentioned, I think the hose is seating properly. but i can't see it very well because its way back there. I'm going to have to get a good borescope in there or something.
Tim

Old 08-03-2006, 06:46 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
did you dope up the threads and give it a few minutes to cure (hour or so) before adding pressure?

Old 08-03-2006, 06:57 PM
clux
Post Fiend
I'm assuming that Bob uses 45* Army/Navy fittings. Is it possible that one of the fittings you used along the way was a 37* flare instead of 45* -AN? They will not seal with each other and you may have damaged your fuel line fitting's seating surface by mating it to the wrong fitting.
Just thinking out loud.