6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Hey kw....

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 06:20 PM
huntercgr
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey kw....

The recent talk about "flashing" problems got me thinking. Our good friend vloney threw out a good tip and thought it might be worth putting in the tech folder. Perhaps he (vloney) might care to add to it if there's more info that might come in handy.

Quote "the last steps in the flash are the ones that people are failing to complete. For the turbo, they need to use the wds datalogger function vgtdc and rpms. At idle,operating temp, ramp up vgtdc from 0% to 85% with 3 steps in between. Doing this several times assures that the vanes arent sticking. For the egr, they need to clear KAM, and also operating temp, allow truck to idle for 5 minutes minimum, then perform 2 key on/off cycles."

Old 08-01-2006, 07:02 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
huntercgr---ever since the 6.0 was introduced, it has been a monster to repair. To start with, the training was less than adequate. Not trying to put the instructors down, they do a tremendous job. The 6.0 is by far the most complicated, and technically is a migraine waiting to happen. Ford took the initiative to release an engine such as this, for that I applaud them. Gm and Chrysler has plans to follow these footsteps. Everyone should remember who was first, there can be only one. All vehicles eventually are going to go down this road. That is the only way to make the adjustments on the fly that are necessary for optimal performance. The world of the mechanic is over, we are now called technicians. It wont be long before we show up wearing white lab coats. When I started, there was the old grizzled veterans that gave you hell when something went wrong, I wanted to be like them. Now that I'm here, I rough up the kids---then give them all the help I can. I have lasted long enough to have my son in the bay next to me(cant tell you how cool that is). I can only hope my fingers keep bending the same way, and my eyes are still able to find the "red wire with pink tracer" long enough to have my grandsons on the other side of us.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:10 PM
huntercgr
Posting Guru
vloney, there's not a word that you wrote that I disagree with. I truly think there's a small % of the 6.0's that are just destined to a full time parking lot. But thanks to the fine folks such as yourself, those with minor issues, and those with less than fortunate techs, are able to fix those nuances.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:33 PM
chili7
Senior User
vloney, it's the guys like you that keep me coming back to Ford. It's also why I made the decision to go with the 6.0 ANYWAY. I just hope one of them, like you, is there everytime I bring it in.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:56 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by huntercgr
The recent talk about "flashing" problems got me thinking. Our good friend vloney threw out a good tip and thought it might be worth putting in the tech folder. Perhaps he (vloney) might care to add to it if there's more info that might come in handy.

Quote "the last steps in the flash are the ones that people are failing to complete. For the turbo, they need to use the wds datalogger function vgtdc and rpms. At idle,operating temp, ramp up vgtdc from 0% to 85% with 3 steps in between. Doing this several times assures that the vanes arent sticking. For the egr, they need to clear KAM, and also operating temp, allow truck to idle for 5 minutes minimum, then perform 2 key on/off cycles."
The problem is, the 6.0 Tech folder is primarily for those that preform their own maintenance, mods etc. As I read it, what vloney has posted is tech dedicated info.

But, it is my Tuesday night liars and drinkers club meeting so please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:21 AM
usroute66
Senior User
Actually KW, yes, it is tech oriented. But, I just printed out some of it and will take it with me to the dealer at the end of month. Ever since the flash, by truck has lost power and I feel some may be due to the fact that the regular tune up guy also does the flashes...the dealer I am using next time is not that type of dealer. But at least I am armed with data...sometimes data I can use in my driveway, and sometimes data I can use when speaking with the local Ford dealer. It is all good, so keep it coming!

Old 08-02-2006, 09:30 AM
huntercgr
Posting Guru
You? Wrong?

Soooo, based on your comment:

the 6.0 TECH folder is primarily for those that preform their own maintenance, mods etc. As I read it, what vloney has posted is TECH dedicated info.

...we have 2 different forms of TECH?

AND,,,, according to your libatious line of thinking, why is Egr-o Ring Ford Part# in the TECH folder?

Man, I'm on this morning. . Actually, I'm just yanking your chain. I will live by your decision.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:04 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Actually, I should have have said "Technician dedicated info".

But, alas, as I stated, due to my condition...technician was no where to be found in my vocabulary.

With that said, with my now improved condition, there's been no decision, on dedicated technician information in the 6.0 Tech Forum.

If our good friend vloney will review his subject post, and repost if necessary, I will be more than happy to add it to the 6.0 Tech Forum.

I need a title as well.

Life is good....

Old 08-02-2006, 01:37 PM
huntercgr
Posting Guru
I'm not much of a titleist, but perhaps: "Technician Flashing Procedures" would work.

vloney, any additions or touchups neccesary?

Almost noon.

Old 08-02-2006, 04:47 PM
vloney
Postmaster

nope, its pretty much the same. There is actually a ssm on it now(guess somebody was listening)

Old 08-02-2006, 06:34 PM
DeepDoc1
Senior User
Originally Posted by kw5413
But, it is my Tuesday night liars and drinkers club meeting so please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
lmao! How appropriate to have a Tuesday night liars club meeting on a Wednesday night!

[Edit] Whoops. Just noticed that was about 1 AM. Oh, well, it would still be cool.... [/edit]

Last edited by DeepDoc1; 08-02-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:05 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
I still need verification of this from vloney before I add it to the tech folder.

EX: Here there seems to a descrepency regarding this statement "At idle,operating temp, ramp up vgtdc from 0% to 85% with 3 steps in between" posted here in huntercgr's post # 1....and this statement... "At idle, vgt was changing constantly(not supposed to do that) researching further, the new reflash enables the pcm to cycle vgt from 15% to 85% if it notices vanes stuck in an effort to free them" From a P.M. vloney sent me on 05/23."

In fact, I would post the Ford SSM but can't seem to locate it.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:36 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Lets try this--- For those of you that are having trouble after the latest round of reflashes, many times the problem is associated with the tech not fully completing the flash. After performing the reflash procedure, the tech is supposed to idle the vehicle for a minimum of five minutes. This allows the pcm to "relearn" egr and turbo operating strategies. There has been instances with an "incomplete relearn". When this happens, the tech has to do a kam reset, and perform the relearn procedure again. The new reflashes also add new pids(vgtlrn is one of them) when the relearn procedure is done correctly, the vgtlrn pid shows "yes". If it does not, the tech is instructed not to release the vehicle until it does. The procedure of taking control of vgt functions is one way of freeing up sticking vanes. With wds or ids go to datalogger, select vgtdc and rpm--- at idle ramp up vgtdc from 0% to 85% with 3 steps in between(several times may be necessary). The new reflash instructs the pcm to do the same when it sees slow operating, or stuck vanes. I will also do the same with egrdc to break them free.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:46 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Helpful info like this should be getting you rep points. Thank you!

Old 08-04-2006, 12:53 PM
huntercgr
Posting Guru
Thanks vloney.

Quick Reply: Hey kw....