changed oil now engine will not start

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 06:02 PM
Impacttec1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post changed oil now engine will not start

Hello Everyone,

I just bought a Ford F-150 ext cab 2WD with 135,000 miles. The last owner did not do alot of genreal maintenance. I am replacing all the fluids. Today I replaced the air filter, oil, and oil filter. (the air filter and oil were extremely dirty)

After filling the oil with 6 quarts the truck will not stay on. When I start the engine in runs for a second and dies. If I start the engine and hit the gas it runs fine while I hit the gas and then dies.

Does anyone have any idea what would be causing this. I have done many lube and oils and this has never occured.

I would like to thank everyone who responds to these forums. Thanks Ford-trucks.com

Michael Dolnick

Old 07-30-2006, 06:19 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would do a real close inspection of the air filter area.
Sounds like an air leak.
'Course there could be other causes, but since you were working in that area, that's where I'd look.
Check all the intake plenum (the black plastic parts that feed air into and thru the air filter).
If you have a leak involving the Mass Airflow Sensor, it will do what you are describing.
Best of luck and let us know what you find.

Old 07-30-2006, 06:25 PM
fbodyfan
Senior User
I know about that filter box. I'm willing to bet you inadvertantly pulled a vacuum hose off while replacing it. Check the two hoses that go into the air tube, on the right side of the tube near the throttle body. Make sure those are both in nice and tight.

Old 07-30-2006, 06:38 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it has a IAC valve (Idle Air Control valve), check the electrical connection on it. It is a cylindrical shaped object located close to the throttle body.

Old 07-30-2006, 11:07 PM
Impacttec1
New User
Working Now

Hello,

I let the car sit for about 1 hour and it started up and the problem seems to have fixed itself. I will check everything else tommorow. Thanks for the help everyone.

Maybe it did not have enough oil pressure.

Mike

Old 07-31-2006, 09:01 AM
7700Rob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like the IAC valve. They're sometimes intermittent, but make the engine act like it's loaded up. If you juice it, it'll go until you let off, or sometimes it'll straighten out for a while. I had this problem in August of '04. I took it off, sprayed some carb and choke cleaner in it, then some penetrating oil, worked the valve back and forth several times. shook out all the left-overs, and reinstalled it. Not a problem since. Hopefully a quinky dink, and not related to the other stuff. keep us updated on your quest. Rob