1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

98 ranger VSS (speed sensor)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 02:31 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep that's it. We often refer to the speed sensor as the VSS, since it serves that function in this truck.

Old 07-29-2006, 07:37 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
It's held in with a 10mm fastner, torqued at 25-28 ft/lbs & has a "O" ring seal on the sensors body.

As has been said, make sure the area is clean before removing the old one & installing the new one. Also lube the "O" ring before installation.

Should be about a 20-30 minute job!!!!

The ABS, Speed-O & cruise control all use the output of this speed sensor to function. So if your having problems with any of them, it's another finger poining at that pesky speed sensor.

Just some additional thoughts.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:16 AM
kdeleon
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should I use to lube the O ring? A dielectric grease or just regular motor oil, or what? Thanks!

Old 07-29-2006, 09:18 AM
kdeleon
Junior User
My other question, is am I looking at the right problem here? I have seen several different threads about this. Am I attacking the right part? The problem is...I was driving home, and all of a sudden my O/D light starts flashing on and off, and the truck started shifting really hard. especially between 1st and 2nd. Would the differential speed sensor cause this?

Old 07-29-2006, 09:37 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Use dielectric grease.

Old 07-29-2006, 06:18 PM
pawpaw
Yup Kdeleon, a faulty speed sensor can cause the auto tranny to act out too, as the computer uses the speed sensors output signal to decide when to tell the tranny to up or down shift. Yet another finger pointing to a speed sensor circuit problem imo.

The "O" ring isn't too particular about the kind of lubrication it gets, could be differentaloil, motor oil, chassis grease, vasoline, I kinda like Bobs dielectric grease idea. You might try buttering a little on the insides of the hole it fits into also. This should ease fiting the speed sensor in & prevent the "O" ring from trying to roll up as you slip the speed sensor in place. Should also help prevent it from drying out over time too.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:06 PM
kdeleon
Junior User
got the part...will try to install in the next day or two if I have time. It's been SUPER HOT hear lately...will let you know how it all turns out!

Old 08-02-2006, 05:56 PM
kdeleon
Junior User
well guys...I hope you are reading this....cause I need help...the cylinder portion that holds the magnets in the old abs sensor broke off in the differential...GOD!!!! i wasn't even pulling that hard to get it out the hole. Anyway...long story short...any idea on how to best get the dang thing out!?!? I hope someone is reading right now. the top of the outer ring is barely sticking out the hole in the differential...I can barely get a hold on it with a pare of pliars..but I don't wanna screw anything else up...please help! Would wd40 break it lose? or do I wanna be spraying anything around where this sensor goes?

Old 08-02-2006, 06:25 PM
pawpaw
Dang what luck, first one I've heard of that has broken!!!!

Well, fwiw it sounds like the VSS was for sure bad.

If there isn't enough sticking out to get a good grip on, with vice grips or pliers, maybe by using the portion that came off for sizing, something like a self tapping screw, or screw extracter, of the right diameter, would get a good enough grip on the remainder of the housing, to work it out.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:35 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, I agree with pawpaw. you might even have to drill a hole in it to put a screw into it to pull it out (if it isn't already hollow).

Old 08-03-2006, 09:12 AM
kdeleon
Junior User
it is hollow, however there is a solid metal cylinder inside it that spins. The only thing I could drill into is the solid cylinder within...however...I think if I do that...I will end up pulling that piece out, and the outer metal cylinder will remain stuck. I am scared this is going to end in my having to take it to a shop and them telling me they will have to freaking take my differential apart to get it out. I hope this is not the case. The outer cylinder moves up and down a bit...so it seems like it is free...but it is stuck on something...I just don't know what....build up or something maybe?

Old 08-03-2006, 07:10 PM
pawpaw
Well if you've removed the 10mm fastner, the only thing holding it in would be the "O" rings friction.

If the "O" ring has taken a set, to the side wall, I suppose it could make things a little more difficult.

Spray some silicone around the outside of whats left of the sensors housing & let it run down long enough to wet the "O" ring real good & see if it'll turn loose & pull out,

If you can get hold of some of the housing with long nose plires, then using the nose of the plires as a "fulcrum", you might be able to lift it enough, to get it past the point of resistance, so it'll come on out.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 08-04-2006, 09:27 AM
kdeleon
Junior User
well actually...the O ring portion (i am assuming you are talking about the rubber gasket) came out with the top...the ONLY thing that is left in the hole is the bottom housing and whatever is inside it.....wiered huh? That is why I can't figure out what it is stuck on!

Old 08-09-2006, 10:23 AM
PeechyGA
New User
hey, could you tell me where the sensor is by the transmission? I would like to replace it and I looked underneath the truck and could not find nothing that looked like the one I purchased. thanks

Old 08-09-2006, 03:59 PM
kdeleon
Junior User
what model/year truck do you have peechy?

Also pawpaw and others...I talked to a Ford Mechanic, and he said that it is not uncommon for those ABS speed sensors for the rear diff to break off...and that about 75% of the ones they replace end up breaking off, and they have to take the diff cover off to get it out. So that is what I will be doing this weekend I suppose!

Quick Reply: 98 ranger VSS (speed sensor)