1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Tire Pressure sensors TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 12:09 PM
llaugerm
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skauber
Basically you only need to do it when replacing a TPMS sensor. On trucks that has different air pressure front and back, or some sort of display that actually shows the PSI on each tire and gives warnings to a specific tire, you need to relearn them at every tire rotation. On Expy, and I supposed Navigators of the 2nd gen, it only says "Low tire pressure", and doesn't specify which tire. These trucks also has the same pressure in front and back, so it's not really necessary to retrain them when rotating the tires.
Thank you! You have been a great help.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:12 PM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Originally Posted by llaugerm
Can I use any old car speaker magnet to do the Re-Learn procedure?
Mostly, the main qualifier seems to be that the magnet has to be a strong one.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:14 PM
llaugerm
Freshman User
Originally Posted by alloro
Mostly, the main qualifier seems to be that the magnet has to be a strong one.
I replaced the front speakers. Maybe the Magnet from that speaker should work.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:01 PM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can also buy rare earth neodymium magnets pretty cheaply, few bucks on places like dealxtreme if you're having trouble finding a magnet that works. If you have an old hard drive you're about to throw out or something, you can find neodymium magnets inside it if you open it. Those are strong enough, I use one I salvaged from a dead HDD so it was more or less free (save for the inconvenience of a dead hard drive.... )

Old 10-29-2015, 04:01 PM
krifenbu
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Here is a pic of the speaker magnet I used on my 2004 Expediton XLT.

Here is my smashed sensor pieces next to the magnet I used to retrain my Expediton.

This is what my sensors look like.

Kevin

Old 12-29-2015, 11:19 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
I just went through this TPMS scenario after I had a replacement rim installed on my 2005 Navigator yesterday. The "new" rim came with a TPMS already installed so the shop said they had to "flash" the VSM. Not sure what that meant but it did end up triggering a constant Low Pressure fault even though all the tires were at 37 PSI.

I used the handy forum search function to find this and a few other threads on the same topic. My missing piece to the puzzle was finding a strong enough magnet. I ended up dismantling an old hard drive.

I used both of the pick-up arm magnets and for giggles I also nabbed the motor magnet to make this contraption:

It took a few tries, but I was able to go through the relearn procedure successfully. I love these forums!

Old 12-29-2015, 12:41 PM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Originally Posted by rla2005
It took a few tries, but I was able to go through the relearn procedure successfully. I love these forums!
Dealers hate them!

Old 01-22-2016, 06:10 PM
Starry Night
Junior User
Originally Posted by Parts Guy Wyatt
I can tell you that the Navigator and the Expedition use the same part number for the wheel sensor 5L1Z-1A150-AA, here are a few things I copied from manual and should help you.

Ed

NOTE: The vehicle is equipped with a light blue-colored tire pressure sensor. When installing new components, use only this tire pressure sensor.

CAUTION: If the valve stem core has been removed from the valve stem, reinstall the original valve stem core. If the original valve stem core is damaged, a nickel-plated core must be installed. Failure to use a nickel-plated core will result in corrosion and the possible loss of tire pressure.

The TPMS will not operate correctly if black-colored tire pressure sensors are installed.

NOTE: Sensor position is critical for correct sensor operation. The "flat" side of the sensor must be facing the wheel and the "slanted" side of the sensor must be facing away from the wheel. When correctly installed, there will be a very small gap between the sensor and the wheel.

Train the tire pressure sensors. For additional information, refer to Sensor Training component test in this section.

CAUTION: Electronic modules are sensitive to static electrical charges. If exposed to these charges, damage can result.

NOTE: The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) is integral to the vehicle security module (VSM) and is not serviced separately.

NOTE: A new VSM module is delivered in manufacturing mode with pre-set diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). These DTCs require that a particular set of operations to be carried out in order to clear them and enable the module for normal operations. The pre-set DTCs are as follows:

B2477 — Module Configuration Failure/Mismatch
B2868 — Left Front Tire Pressure Sensor Fault
B2869 — Right Front Tire Pressure Sensor Fault
B2870 — Left Rear Tire Pressure Sensor Fault
B2871 — Right Rear Tire Pressure Sensor Fault
C2780 — ECU in Manufacturing Mode

NOTE: A re-configured VSM may also set the above codes and will need to go through the same set of procedures as a new module to enable normal operation.

NOTE: The steps included in the VSM removal and installation process are critical to restoring vehicle security and tire pressure monitoring system operations and will permit a new or reconfigured module to operate as intended. Each step is designed to carry out a particular operation and clear the manufacturing mode DTCs. Once these DTCs are cleared, the new or reconfigured module will enter into normal operating mode.

Principles of Operation

The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) monitors the air pressure of all four regular road tires. The wheel-mounted tire pressure sensors transmit via radio frequency (RF) signals, to the TPMS module (integral to the vehicle security module (VSM)), using the valve stem as an antenna. These transmissions are sent approximately every 60 seconds when the vehicle speed exceeds 32 km/h (20 mph). The TPMS module (integral to VSM), compares each tire pressure sensor transmission against a low-pressure limit. If the module determines that the tire pressure has fallen below this limit, the module communicates this on the controller area network (CAN) to the instrument cluster, illuminates the TPMS indicator and displays the appropriate message center message.

The system is not affected by wheel and tire rotation.

Sensor Training (Reset Procedure)

NOTE: The tire pressure monitoring system is not affected by wheel and tire rotation.

NOTE: The tire pressure sensor training procedure must be done on a single vehicle, in an area without radio frequency (RF) noise.

RF noise is generated by electrical motor and appliance operation, cellular telephones and remote transmitters, power inverters and portable entertainment equipment.

1.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
2.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.
3.Press and release the brake pedal.
4.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
5.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.

6.The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if train mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center displays "TRAIN LF TIRE", place the magnet on the valve stem of the LF tire pressure sensor. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the TPMS module.
7.Within two minutes after the horn sounds, place the magnet on the valve stem of the RF tire pressure sensor.
NOTE: If the VSM (TPMS module integral to VSM) does not recognize any one of the four tire pressure sensors during the tire training procedure, the horn will sound twice and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE NOT TRAINED REPEAT" and the procedure must be repeated.

8.Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.
When the tire training procedure is complete, the horn will sound once and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE TRAINING MODE COMPLETE".
For any of you 2003/2004 Navigator owners who plan on replacing your TPMS sensors I found out that if you purchase Schrader 20096 sensors which are the factory replacement to Motocraft sensors you no longer need a magnet to train the new sensors.
What you need to is first make sure your tire pressure is higher than the recommended 35psi as indicated on the door will plate.
Go into training mode as described above.
Once you hear the beep from the horn start with left front drivers tire first.
Now this is the best part, deflate your tire to under 28lbs or until you hear the horn beep. Once the horn beeps it has now been trained, proceed to right front passenger tire.
Do the same deflate tire till you hear the horn beep.
Then Left rear passenger tire and right rear drivers tire.
After you hear the left rear driver beep once you are done and then final beep will indicate training is complete and display on dash.

Don't forget once complete inflate all tires back to 35psi as indicated on door sill plate.

I did this as per the instruction from the Technician who works for Schrader International TPMS.
He told me the old style was with a magnet and this was based on the technology then. The new styles internal parts no longer use a magnet to train and will not work. He was absolutely right. I could not train mine with a heavy duty speaker magnet with a center hole like I did 5 years ago when one sensor was bad and I replaced it. So glad I was able to train the new sensors that were installed. I got 11 years out of my old ones but upgraded my wheels and tires to 18" American Racing chrome AR893 with Firestone LE2 275/65R18. Love these tires.

Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2016, 07:38 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
Great info! Reps

Old 01-24-2016, 11:02 PM
Z06PSI
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Replaced all mine tonight cause it has been two years and I cannot get the RR to program. I skipped it one time and was able to get the LR done as the RR. I still could not get the RR to pick up though.

Any ideas?

Gonna swap the left tire to the right side and see if it follows to the same side.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:32 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
The RR sensor has probably run out of battery power. The battery life on these are expected to be more or less 10 years, so if yours are around that then you might as well replace all. If you have a bluetooth scantool you can use Forscan to check the battery status. It says "OK" or "LOW", when it turns to "LOW", the manual says that you can expect it to fail in between 6 to 12 months.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:02 AM
Starry Night
Junior User
ZO6PSI,
Can you provide more info. What TPMS sensors did you purchase! How did you train? Did you try above as described? Having tires over inflated, then reduce psi to under 28lbs when training? You said you installed the sensors or tire shop? Is your truck an 05 Navi?

Old 01-25-2016, 06:49 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
For training sensors, check the video posted a page or two back

Old 04-06-2017, 10:24 AM
llaugerm
Freshman User
Replaced Sensors Not Relearning

All, I have changed the sensors on my 2004 Lincoln Navigator. I go into the programming mode. In the Message Center says Train LF Tire. When I use the Ford device: Ford Tire Pressure Monitor System TPMS Sensor Training Program Tool OEM TPMS19 | eBay

The sensors do not do anything. They're like dead. Here are sensors that I bought:

Ford Lincoln Mercury TPM TPMS Tire Pressure Sensor Sensors Set of 4 - 4L2T-1A-15 | eBay

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:06 PM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Did you watch the video posted right above your post? Not all TPMS systems need that TPMS programming tool. There are three ways to program sensors on Ford vehicles:

1. Let some air out of the tire being trained (shouldn't take too much before the horn beeps)

2. Use a strong magnet to trigger the sensor. There is a Motorcraft OEM magnet you can buy, but people has been using anything from neodymium magnets, hard drive magnets, speaker magnets, and so on. As long as it's strong enough and you get close enough to the stem, it should honk the horn to confirm the trained sensor.

3. Using this TPMS19 tool. I believe Expedition and Navigator do not use this tool.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure sensors TPMS