Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Wow...REAL Air Conditioning!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 09:20 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 796 Likes on 607 Posts
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
Well, Y2kW57's idea of triggering the coolant valve off of the blend door is not as silly as he jokingly makes it out to be. There are electronically controlled coolant diverter valves like this one that can take a signal from the circuitry for the blend door actuator. See the attached wiring diagram.
On this fine morning, I feel like splitting a hair on this topic. Is it better to divert the coolant back into the engine, or to block the flow, and in doing so, will provide additional pressure for the water pump to circulate coolant through the radiator on that really hot day that made you turn off the heater in the first place?

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-17-2022, 11:04 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,378 Likes on 1,771 Posts
Circulation is a result of flow. (open)

Pressure is a result of constriction. (closed)

If wanting more water volume to flow through a garden hose, then wouldn't we inspect the length of the hose to straighten out any kinks that constrict the hose will remove the restrictions that impede flow?

If wanting more water pressure to build up in the hose, then wouldn't we close the end of the hose completely (which will stop flow entirely)?

If wanting more water pressure to emit from the hose, then wouldn't we squeeze the end of the hose, or more conveniently install a nozzle to restrict the flow?.

If wanting more water volume to flow and circulate through a radiator to continually release the heat to air, then how would "blocking the flow to provide additional pressure for the water pump to circulate coolant through the radiator" work effectively?

Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
On this fine morning, I feel like splitting a hair on this topic. Is it better to divert the coolant back into the engine, or to block the flow, and in doing so, will provide additional pressure for the water pump to circulate coolant through the radiator on that really hot day that made you turn off the heater in the first place?
I need help understanding the point in the quote.

In a heated, closed, and pressurized fluid circulation system that we are all familiar with, higher blood pressure goes hand in hand with poor blood circulation and flow.

Old 06-17-2022, 02:00 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts
Blocking off the flow in this line increases system pressure to all other use points. Allowing the flow to circulate back into the system will increase the system pressure drop because of the additional flow channel(s) being utilized by having the circulation path open.

Old 06-17-2022, 10:36 PM
marksman76
More Turbo
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
So..... F250,
Do you want hot ac AC, or cold AC?

And, as you point out above..... Why did Ford make this valve standard on later Ford Excursions?

Old 06-17-2022, 11:33 PM
Y2KW57
Originally Posted by F250_
Blocking off the flow in this line increases system pressure to all other use points. Allowing the flow to circulate back into the system will increase the system pressure drop because of the additional flow channel(s) being utilized by having the circulation path open.
Coolant system pressure is regulated by the 16 psi cap on the degas bottle.

How does "blocking of the flow in this line increase system pressure to all other use points"?

If such an "increase in system pressure" were to occur, would it not be released by the pressure relief valve in a functioning coolant cap?

Old 06-17-2022, 11:43 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,135 Likes on 647 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Paging @BillHewitt

Oh Lord no!!!

Not surprising that he isn't on the most popular forum with the engine platform he makes his you tube living off of. He's probably the creator of the Fakebook page tho, they like to throw out wildly incorrect info on there

Old 06-18-2022, 07:11 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,938 Likes on 1,943 Posts
I say we replumb to circulate AC refrigerant through the engine's cooling system resulting in a solution of 42, the answer to Life, The Universe And Everything.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:57 AM
Listor
Fleet Mechanic
Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts
been considering this myself ac blows like a hair dryer at times and when sitting idle feels like it has shut off

Heater Valve BK 6601359 | Buy Online - NAPA Auto Parts (napaonline.com)

Old 06-18-2022, 08:04 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,466 Likes on 2,855 Posts
@Listor , I bought this ($18 at the time) on August 8, 2016 and it has been working great since then. I replaced the Diesel Site Max AC Assist as it did not function properly. This valve definitely makes a difference, but your other components and specifications have to be up to the task too. Clean condenser in front of the truck, clean evaporator coil in the box, refrigerant good to go, etc...

Link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 06-18-2022, 08:23 AM
Y2KW57
Originally Posted by Listor
been considering this myself ac blows like a hair dryer at times and when sitting idle feels like it has shut off
Heater Valve BK 6601359 | Buy Online - NAPA Auto Parts (napaonline.com)

Here is a photo of that Napa Balkamp 6601359 Balkamp Valve:

Notice the arrow on the valve body indicates an intended flow direction, and notice the staggered water port orientation relative to the directional arrow, and relative to the clocking of the vacuum port.

Now take a look at the similar, but different Ford heater control valve that was original equipment in @jpcjguy 2002 Excursion Limited shown in the photo below:

See the differences?

Old 06-18-2022, 08:35 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Here is a photo of that Napa Balkamp 6601359 Balkamp Valve:

Notice the arrow on the valve body indicates an intended flow direction, and notice the staggered water port orientation relative to the directional arrow, and relative to the clocking of the vacuum port.

Now take a look at the similar, but different Ford heater control valve that was original equipment in @jpcjguy 2002 Excursion Limited shown in the photo below:

See the differences?
I do, I do! His has dirt and oil all over it and would never be allowed under Sous' hood. That and one other thing.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-18-2022, 09:32 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 796 Likes on 607 Posts
Circulation is a result of flow. (open)

Pressure is a result of constriction. (closed)

If wanting more water volume to flow through a garden hose, then wouldn't we inspect the length of the hose to straighten out any kinks that constrict the hose will remove the restrictions that impede flow?

If wanting more water pressure to build up in the hose, then wouldn't we close the end of the hose completely (which will stop flow entirely)?

If wanting more water pressure to emit from the hose, then wouldn't we squeeze the end of the hose, or more conveniently install a nozzle to restrict the flow?.

If wanting more water volume to flow and circulate through a radiator to continually release the heat to air, then how would "blocking the flow to provide additional pressure for the water pump to circulate coolant through the radiator" work effectively?

I need help understanding the point in the quote.

In a heated, closed, and pressurized fluid circulation system that we are all familiar with, higher blood pressure goes hand in hand with poor blood circulation and flow.
I didn't state it very well, I think. System pressure is always 16 PSI or whatever. What I am thinking is the redirect that happens in the heater core circuit when that flow path is happening. On a hot day we are not using that heated coolant for any reason and it's taken from the cylinder head to be redirected right back into the coolant stream without ever having seen the benefit of first going through the radiator for cooling. I realize that it's a small amount compared to the amount actually going through the radiator for cooling and then being sent back to the engine for the coolant to do it's job of controlling engine temperature. On a hot day, pulling a load, thermostat fully open and the redirect valve at the bottom of the thermostat is fully closed, this "redirect" of the heater circuit is a wide open leak built into the system that bleeds off hot coolant and send it right back to the engine via the heater system without ever having been cooled. It's a reduction of cooling capacity that otherwise could be avoided simply by blocking that flow when it's needed most.

Old 06-18-2022, 10:11 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
I wonder if Neil, the OP is still around??

Old 06-18-2022, 10:18 AM
Y2KW57
I didn't state it very well, I think. System pressure is always 16 PSI or whatever. What I am thinking is the redirect that happens in the heater core circuit when that flow path is happening. On a hot day we are not using that heated coolant for any reason and it's taken from the cylinder head to be redirected right back into the coolant stream without ever having seen the benefit of first going through the radiator for cooling. I realize that it's a small amount compared to the amount actually going through the radiator for cooling and then being sent back to the engine for the coolant to do it's job of controlling engine temperature. On a hot day, pulling a load, thermostat fully open and the redirect valve at the bottom of the thermostat is fully closed, this "redirect" of the heater circuit is a wide open leak built into the system that bleeds off hot coolant and send it right back to the engine via the heater system without ever having been cooled. It's a reduction of cooling capacity that otherwise could be avoided simply by blocking that flow when it's needed most.
Help me understand what you mean when you say "'redirect' of the heater circuit is a wide open leak built into the system that bleeds off hot coolant and send it right back to the engine via the heater system without ever having been cooled."

Coolant sent to the heater circuit is returned to the top of the water pump, where it is sent to the radiator to be cooled, not back to the engine without being cooled.

If a four way Ranger valve is installed and actuated to block flow through the heater core, then the hot coolant passing through and diverted by the Ranger valve makes the return trip to the water pump and radiator even faster.

If there is crude hand actuated ball valve blocking flow from the engine to the heater core, then there is no flow. A no flow condition is the same as any given surface of the water jacket. "Pressure" will be no greater or no less. And flow will not exist where there is no passage for fluid to flow through.

If there is no valve at all, and the hot coolant is allowed to flow through the heater core all the time, this diversion to the heater core will not rob the engine of cooling capacity for the sake of the cylinders. On the contrary, coolant flowing through the heater core increases the cooling efficiency for the engine, as the heater core is another mechanism for the heat to be transferred to a cooler medium.... the ambient air in the cab. The heater core is essentially another radiator. And after the coolant passes through this in cab radiator, it isn't sent back to the engine. Rather it is sent directly to the water pump, which sends it through the big radiator in front of the engine.

Old 06-18-2022, 06:00 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 797 Likes on 586 Posts
Originally Posted by Supercab
I wonder if Neil, the OP is still around??
I think he finally made the move to Mexico permanent. Last activity here was 5-11-2021. Helped me decide how to do this mod.

I'll attempt a summoning. @nlemerise

Quick Reply: Wow...REAL Air Conditioning!!