Sponsored by: Moser

I have found my DREAM truck!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 12:39 PM
badboyina67
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile I have found my DREAM truck!!!

Hey guys and gals, let me introduce myself. My name is Ken and I am not new to the FTE website, but as you can see from my screenname, I am new to this here forum.

I had a 1967 F-250 that I loved, but a certain someone who shall remain nameless (my EX fiancee) decided that it had to go. Right after I sold it, she and I broke up so I was left with no truck and a diamond ring that has no meaning to me anymore.

Sooo fast forward to 2006 and I have stumbled upon what I have always said was my "dream truck". Well, almost. I was born in '78 so I wish it was a '78, but I have found a 1977 Ford F-150 4WD Stepside pickup for $800 bucks. The truck is amazinlgy solid. I spent the morning yesterday going through all the common spots for rust on these trucks and it seems to be in GREAT shape for a 29 year old truck.

It has a 400M in it with a blown tranny. I don't really care too much about either one because I want a straight 6 again like I had in my '67. I loved the torque those engines produce and I'm not trying to make a hot rod here.

My main question revolves around the engine swap. With the go-go juice at almost 3 bucks a gallon, I want to know if anyone out there has done a 6 cylinder swap with a fuel injected I-6 300. If so, what exactly did you have to do for the computer controlled parts.

My second question involves the tranny. I don't wanna put it in D and go. I want a 5 speed. Now I transplanted a 5 speed into my '67 from a '90 Bronco with pretty much no problem. But this '77 has an automatic. How hard is it to get the clutch pedal and all the bracktes and what not. Has anyone ever tried to convert an automatic into a manual???

Let me know guys and gals. It's nice to be back on here for sure. I really want this truck!!!

Old 07-20-2006, 01:28 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
So the topic is EFI Engine and Manual Tranny swap ?

The complete set-up from an 80's trucks with a 300 will go in.(Depending on the year for the transmission)

Later in the 80's they switched to a hydraulic clutch so that will be something you have to consider.

The pedal assembly can be altered or replaced.

I suggest getting a donor truck

Btw, the 400 doesn't have an M after it. Only the 351M does as in 351M/400 block

The 351M is basically a de-stroked 400 thus the 351 getting M moniker.