Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Aftermarket FIPL

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 08:06 AM
TreeFarmer05
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket FIPL

Any Experiences with aftermarket FIPL Switches. I gave the parts store a ford number and he was able to cross it to his electrical line. Anybody tried using an aftermarket sensor? Or should I not waste my time and drive 60 miles to get OEM part?

Old 07-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Fipl is just a potentiometer.

As long as it fits physically and puts out the requried voltage range between idle and full throttle (approx. 0.9 to 4.5 volts) it should work fine.

Make sure you follow the calibration procedure below:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/lc/lc.ph...ann%2Fidi2.htm

I found mine on my 91' F350 was not that sensitive and if I had just bolted it on in roughly the same spot as the old one I took off it would have been fine. I did notice that I could only get to 3.8 v at full throttle without exceeding 1.1V at idle. This could have been just due to the cheap Radio Shack Volt meter I was using.

Best of luck....

Seb.....

Old 07-12-2006, 01:05 PM
TreeFarmer05
Junior User
Guess the aftermarket fipl sensor should be as good as the ford one. Since when I opened the box it had ford and the ford part number stamped into the side of it. Haven't installed it yet but I'll let you know how it works out.

Old 07-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Hamberger
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yah, it is funny how that is starting to work now with the part numbers. In the olden days you had to cross reference them but nowadays it seems anybody can just put the Ford number on a part.

I wonder what the legalities are here. How do they get away with putting the "Ford" oval on the part unless it is a licensed Ford Part to start with. If it is indeed a Ford part then why does the Ford Dealer charge three times as much for it sometimes?

Baffels the mind I say...... lol

Old 07-12-2006, 02:45 PM
TreeFarmer05
Junior User
This part was about the same price as the ford part. I'd say ford must be building parts for aftermarket companies. Kind of like the difference between the motocraft oil filter and a (i've been out of the parts business for a while now) but I think it was baldwin that made there motocraft oil filters for them.

Usually can tell by the cross reference on the side of the box. Basically the manufacturers numbers they don't give you for cross are made by another filter company. over 10 years ago when I worked in the autoparts business there was only a handful of actual companies that actually made oil filters.