1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Best engine choice for power/economy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 12:46 AM
babyfacejack
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best engine choice for power/economy?

We have a 55' F100 and were looking to put a more powerful engine in. Preferably something not too expensive, maybe a late model engine? Would like a big block, but not sure how feasible that is. We have a 99 Ranger engine and a 95 F150 engine in the garage also if those would be good to use.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:03 AM
packrat56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to FTE! I think you will get a few opinions here on this issue for sure.. I have a 56 with a 1971 302 with a 2bbl. It has enough power (not a hotrod, just a truck) Fuel economy is fair, they are heavy trucks for sure. I am pretty happy with it. What engines are in the possible doners?

Old 07-11-2006, 01:39 AM
babyfacejack
Junior User
Got to double check what engines those are. They aren't donor trucks, just the actual engine. Think the F150 is a 302, and they ranger is a 4.0 or 4.9 liter? They are my dads and he said I'm welcome to them. just not sure if they are what i'm looking for.Not looking for nothing super crazy. Just decent power.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:42 AM
babyfacejack
Junior User
Also, I'm thinking of putting in the Cordoba IFS. With that and a stronger engine, will i need to box the frame? I'm not the greatest welder, if I need to box it, how hard is it to do?

Old 07-11-2006, 07:11 AM
R Pope
Senior User
Pick the engine thats in the best shape and drop it in. If you're "not the best welder" you better forget the front end swap, or get someone else to do it. Frames aren't the place to learn the fine points of welding.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:16 AM
sancochojoe
Senior User
I'm using a 72 - 302 engine as well with Cordoba IFS and using the motor mounts
from the guy that fabricated the cross-member for the Cordoba IFS. You can box the frame. My friend who builds race cars fabricated the mount for me and it looks nice...for me. I'll take pictures once I pull the engine out to do my paint job on the body. The only pics I have now in my Gallery is of the IFS Kit.

You definately need another person to help you measure and position and measure and position over and over to get it right to mount the engine. The Bolt on Cordoba is pretty easy though. I did that alone.

Last edited by sancochojoe; 07-11-2006 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:46 AM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd use the fuel injected 95 F-150 302. It has a roller cam and mass air. Which makes it a good on power. Would this engine have part of it's wire harness or computer with it? If it doesn't just grab a harness from a wrecker and a computer from a '89-93 mustang or a '95 F-150 with a 5spd. I assume you wouldn't want the E4OD automatic (4spd electronically controlled C-6) that the truck probally originally had. This way you can use an AOD 4spd automatic transmission. I'd look at the throttle body to see if it has a spot to hook up a second cable besides the throttle cable. Or you can convert to a carburator and forget all about the fuel injection but you also want fuel economy which the fuel injection is better at.

I think the Ranger 4.0L might be a little under powered for these trucks. Not to mention the custom mounts required to mount it as no one makes bolt in mounts like for the 302. There isn't to much for aftermarket parts for these engines.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:54 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 344 Likes on 260 Posts
One thing to keep in mind. Power and economy are on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to engine performance. You can have one OR the other - not both.

Go with any 351M-460 and you're in the 8-10 mpg range. Use something in the 4.9/5.0 range and you're looking at around 15. Want more than that and you'd be better off with a micro car of any make. Not trying to bust your bubble, just the way it is. Trucks are heavy and it takes power to move them.

That said, the 302/5.0 is a great choice for general driving pleasure. 300/4.9 six also. You won't want anything smaller.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:11 AM
AZAV8
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
"One thing to keep in mind. Power and economy are on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to engine performance. You can have one OR the other - not both." quote from mtflat.

You can have both power AND economy if you swap in a diesel. You'll get more power than you imagined and the diesel will get you more miles per gallon than any big cube gas motor.

That said, the diesel will be a LOT of work to install. Nobody makes a kit to install something like a 7.3L Powerstroke diesel. The other factor will be the weight. A 7.3L diesel engine weighs 938 pounds DRY. If you've never engineered an engine swap, then a diesel swap is probably out of your league.

You first have to decide what you want to do with the truck. If its to be driven once in a while on weekends or just to go back and forth to work, then a gas motor econo motor is the better choice. If you want a real workhorse to haul trailers of heavy loads then the diesel would be the better choice.

If the budget is tight and you already have available the Ranger and F150 motors, then choose between them. I'd take the F150 motor if its a V8 302/5.0L. There are more aftermarket speed parts available to play with after its up and running.

Best thing to do is make the decision, carefully plan out the work and then START and FINISH the work.
Phil

Old 07-11-2006, 10:22 AM
packrat56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If economy is a factor, then a free engine is a very good thing indeed!

Old 07-11-2006, 11:23 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my last truck had a 351-c/2 bbl and 3:23 rear, got about 15 mpg freeway driving to work and back, new one has an AOD, hope it will be better. good luck

Old 07-11-2006, 02:36 PM
babyfacejack
Junior User
Originally Posted by mtflat
One thing to keep in mind. Power and economy are on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to engine performance. You can have one OR the other - not both.

Go with any 351M-460 and you're in the 8-10 mpg range. Use something in the 4.9/5.0 range and you're looking at around 15. Want more than that and you'd be better off with a micro car of any make. Not trying to bust your bubble, just the way it is. Trucks are heavy and it takes power to move them.

That said, the 302/5.0 is a great choice for general driving pleasure. 300/4.9 six also. You won't want anything smaller.
When I said economy I didn't mean I was worried about MPG. I meant I didn't want to spend $10,000 on a super engine. Just something with good power that won't cost a fortune.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:38 PM
babyfacejack
Junior User
Originally Posted by R Pope
Pick the engine thats in the best shape and drop it in. If you're "not the best welder" you better forget the front end swap, or get someone else to do it. Frames aren't the place to learn the fine points of welding.
From what I've read on here, the Cordoba is the EXACT IFS I should do if i'm "not the best welder" as it doesn't require much and is almost bolt on. Is that not correct?

That is why I asked if the boxing was necessary as I'd have someone do it for me.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:42 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
You can have your cake and eat it too IF you go with an OD tranny. My panel has a bowtie 400 4 BBL SB with a Tremec T56 6speed (double OD, 5th and 6th) with a 3.70 rear ratio. Driving it from NM to NC at 80 MPH + with the AC on we averaged 26 MPG! Yet it will still smoke the tires.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:46 PM
F6Guy
Elder User
a SB ford or chevy are very cheap to build, and even cheap to get in crate form. Combine that with an OD trans and you,ve got a winning combination.

Quick Reply: Best engine choice for power/economy?