1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Best engine choice for power/economy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 02:47 PM
babyfacejack
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 51dueller
I'd use the fuel injected 95 F-150 302. It has a roller cam and mass air. Which makes it a good on power. Would this engine have part of it's wire harness or computer with it? If it doesn't just grab a harness from a wrecker and a computer from a '89-93 mustang or a '95 F-150 with a 5spd. I assume you wouldn't want the E4OD automatic (4spd electronically controlled C-6) that the truck probally originally had. This way you can use an AOD 4spd automatic transmission. I'd look at the throttle body to see if it has a spot to hook up a second cable besides the throttle cable. Or you can convert to a carburator and forget all about the fuel injection but you also want fuel economy which the fuel injection is better at.

I think the Ranger 4.0L might be a little under powered for these trucks. Not to mention the custom mounts required to mount it as no one makes bolt in mounts like for the 302. There isn't to much for aftermarket parts for these engines.
THanks 51. I don't HAVE to use these engines, just wanted to know if they would provide the power I'm looking for. I didn't really want automatic, was looking to keep it manual. What are my tranny options with these or other engines? I saw a couple people mounted the stick on the floor but it seemed way too far away to be comfortable unless you used something a lot longer.

I had no preference for carb of FI, doesn't matter. I'm used to playing around with old Corvettes and engine swaps are easy and no need to play around with IFS so this is a little more involved and I want to plan everything before I start taking the truck apart next week.

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:57 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Doesn't the Cordoba swap require the Gibbon front crossmember? That could be a problem since Gibbon closed shop a little over a year ago. You may be refering to the Volare swap. If you want a great IFS swap that's as close to a bolt in as there is, do a search here on swapping a Jag setup into your truck. You get a great handling design, disk brakes and R&P steering that was under a similar weight vehicle. Just a little trimming and fabrication of shock mounts needed. You could design the shock mounts as bolt ons, tack them together, unbolt and take to a pro for final welding. The Jag front ends are cheaper and easier to find than Cordoba or Volare setups.
PS: there's nothing wrong with the original front axle setup if it's rebuilt and it makes an engine swap a whole lot easier.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:07 PM
sancochojoe
Senior User
Actually Gibbons ordered from the gentleman who fabbed the crossmember from his home. When you call him, it is his home number. I talked to him several times. I got the kit from ebay but I did not have the Tranny cross member nor the motor mounts for a 302 that comes with the kit. I called him and he fabbed the tranny crossmember and motor mounts and sent it to me.

It is a bolt on but you still want to weld the edges once you have every thing like you want it, just in case you feel nervious.

Nice guy but his wife is cranky.

Last edited by sancochojoe; 07-11-2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:35 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Ford used hydraulic clutches on it's five speeds so you will have to take the pedal assembly out of a truck and mount it on the firewall. It would be pretty tough to make it fit under the floor. The best 5spd were in the F-250 and F-350. The F-150 ones were good for just driving around but don't expect to tow much with it though.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:56 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
It would take some engineering and fabrication to put a clutch MC under the floor, but I don't think it would be that difficult. That all said I did put hanging pedals in mine. The PO had put in a hanging clutch pedal with a underfloor brake setup. Now THAT was strange looking, but it worked OK.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:16 PM
sancochojoe
Senior User
AXracer, I'll let you know how it works out. I have an underfloor brake/clutch kit with booster and remote master cylinder. My mock up looks pretty good.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:02 PM
babyfacejack
Junior User
THanks ax, never realized Gibbon was out of business, i'll look into the Jag. What makes the OD tranny better for me? Any tranny/engine combos you can recommend? The Tremec T56 6speed looks a little pricey from what i've seen. Thanks

Old 07-11-2006, 06:24 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
What are you going to use it for? Racing?, Towing? Daily Driver? The T5 especially the "international" model is a good choice in a manual if a T56 isn't in the budget and you aren't going to be running more than 350 HP. The AOD would be another choice in an automatic.
Problem is our trucks curb out at close to 4K#. The OD tranny allows you to use a rear gear ratio that will pull strong from a stop, i.e. 3.50 - 4.10 but will still yield good gas milege in everyday cruising with a mid sized engine and will still be fun to drive.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:27 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by babyfacejack
We have a 55' F100 and were looking to put a more powerful engine in. Preferably something not too expensive, maybe a late model engine? Would like a big block, but not sure how feasible that is. We have a 99 Ranger engine and a 95 F150 engine in the garage also if those would be good to use.
A Ballanced & Blue Printed, Ported & Polished 223 I-6 Milagemaker w/ an Offenhauser Intake & a Header.
Doing this will double the 223's FPT & HP, but you'll still get the Milagemaker MPG.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:27 PM
kcb37
Senior User
I will agree with the free 302, if you want power it is your best bet. If you don't have a harness and comp get on from a junk yard. For a tranny I would go a 5 speed, if you don't like a clutch get an overdrive. I don
t know about the IFS though. Good luck

Old 07-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can have all the HP in the world, but if you Do Not have the Matching FPT, you just sit there & get smoked & your MPG is Horrid.

Typical of you v-8 guys, look @ the HP, Ignore the FPT & completely disregard the I-6 family of engines that gives it all to you in one packeage when Built Correctly, FPT @ 1500rpms, HP @ 3000rpms & 25 MPG on the Hwy @ 65mph w/ a 3-on-the-tree. Just think of what you'd get w/ an OD attached.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:00 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
I couldn't agree with you more Col. An equal cid 6 will typically produce more torque than a V-8 due to the longer stroke and bigger pistons. What you give up is the higher RPM capabilities and top end HP capabilities of the 8. Back in the day I raced against some wicked I-6s (the original Corvette had a 6 in it) and they'd do well in the 1/8 mile, but would run out of breath in the 1/4. They also required a lot of work to release their potential. 6's fell out of popularity when the hoodline started dropping. You could squeeze a heck of a lot more cu in into a smaller lower package with an 8. Chrysler tried to remedy the situation with their slant six, but it still wasn't very compact and shook like it had Parkinsons. Today it's difficult to find much go-fast goodies for 6's.

Old 07-13-2006, 01:34 AM
babyfacejack
Junior User
Hey Ax,

It wouldn't be a daily driver, just a fun vehicle, with maybe a trip or 2 to the 1/4 mile track.

Old 07-13-2006, 01:39 AM
babyfacejack
Junior User
Any idea how much HP i might get out of the 302? Should I rebuild it? It was running fine when pulled. SHould I go with Carb instead or keep FI, and how hard is it to change to carb? Tranny recommendation for the 302? SOrry for all the questions, just want to do it right. Also, i'm used to my '05 FX4 F150 so MPG isn't a concern, lol.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:03 AM
fiddysixF
Senior User
Originally Posted by babyfacejack
.......i'm used to my '05 FX4 F150 so MPG isn't a concern, lol.
It will be. Our friends in big oil arent done with us yet.

Quick Reply: Best engine choice for power/economy?