Looking to Buy New/refurb Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Brettman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Looking to Buy New/refurb Tranny

Hi all,

I live in Houston, TX and will be looking to buy a new/refurb 5R55E tranny for my Ranger XLT 4x4. I would like to find the best place here in Houston to purchase to save shipping costs. I will also drive to any major cities, say Dallas or Austin. I have also scanned Ebay and found 2 places - 1 in Illinois and 1 in Phoenix with prices in the $700 range + core and shipping. Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks in Asvance

Brettman

Old 07-06-2006, 04:42 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ebay is actually good for this kinda stuff, though shipping can get expensive. Try calling around to any local tranny shops, get quotes, etc. That's the only way you're gonna find local prices. I know up here in the Dallas area Eagle Transmission is fairly popular for doing good work at decent prices.

RP
Zach

Old 07-07-2006, 08:48 AM
G2IC_Wraith
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
If one of the places you are talking about is Man-Tran (I think in AZ) I have a rebuilt Mazda 5sp in my Ranger I got ~2yrs ago. No problems with shipping, communication or quality. My only complaint about them was they didn't leave any feedback on the transaction.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Brettman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input and time to answer my questions! I am beginnning the hunt in earnest this morning!

Brettman

Old 07-07-2006, 09:21 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Good to see a clean tranny for once lol. Anybody know what that small bolt next to the FILL bolt is for? I've always wondered that.

RP
Zach

Old 07-07-2006, 09:48 AM
G2IC_Wraith
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I am not 100% sure, but if I was to venture a guess....... I remember when I installed it there were 2 sensors on the driver's side of the old trans. One you see up top which I think was the reverse sensor I had to swap over, the other I was told was a secondary "clutch safety" something or other. I remember this because I know it was on the same side as the red sensor you see and there was no place to plug my wire harness into on this rebuild. I called ManTrans and they said around ~90' Ford stopped using 2 clutch safety switches so I could just zip-tie the connector out of the way and it would be fine. So maybe that is where the other sensor would go and they just plugged it. IDK.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:00 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
That could make sense...for the longest time ever since I did my tranny fluid I always wondered what the heck that thing was there for. Thanks for that bit of info G2IC, good to see ya again.

RP
Zach