1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Broken stud on exhaust manifold

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 11:16 PM
Leo_T
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken stud on exhaust manifold

I had a stud break on my right side manifold, the one that holds the exhaust pipe on. It's not the one easy to get at by taking off the dog houuse. I took it to Midas Muffler today, and they told me it would be at least $500.00. I usually do all my work, but I was expecting an estimate of somewhere less than $100.00. I've been looking around for a stud removing tool since there's at least an inch of stud left, but nobody has heard of this tool. There's not enough room to get a bite with vice grips. If anyone knows where I can get this tool, I would be grateful.
Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,
Leo

Old 07-01-2006, 01:09 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Go to a better exhaust shop. The better shops have a MIG welder that can weld another stud to the remaining piece and most of the time spent doing it will be lowering the exhaust to get at it.

Until you resolve it, they sell C clamps for this exhaust problem.

The thing you are talking about:

http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearc...d=stud+remover

Old 07-01-2006, 09:01 PM
ptt
Senior User
stud remover..........

I found a pkg of 5 of these stud removers at Sears for $20. They require a wrench or socket to use. You have enough room to get a tool in there? I'd weld a nut to it and soak it with penetrating oil over night and even heat may be needed! I just hate headbolts that don't come out easy or break.

Old 07-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Leo_T
Senior User
Thanks much for the helpful suggestions. The tool at harbor is the one I meant. I'm going to Sears tomorow, so I'll check to see what they have. Always good help at this site!!

Old 07-02-2006, 06:16 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 235 Likes on 184 Posts
If you do not have a torch go to a salvage yard and get another manifold.
Make sure you can get the manifold bolts out of the head with out breaking them first.

Old 07-02-2006, 02:03 PM
racinrob
Senior User
1aauto 1aautomotive.com i believe sells redesigned manifolds for a great price. many other hard to find parts too.

i got one for a 302 for 40 dollars shipped.

i have a good mechanic who did the job for 2 hrs. labor. he broke a stud and had to remove it. i was afraid to try myself. either way the new mani put on was about 200, so 500 to deal with a stud is silly. try a few mechanics you may be able to get it done for under a hundred.

good luck and if u need a new mani try 1a there on ebay too. the older manis' are prone to cracking. mine did, really no reason for it. mine is a 87 btw.

good luck.