Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New low sulfur fuel warning??!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 10:06 PM
jeem
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New low sulfur fuel warning??!?!?!?!

I have been reading a warning label on the pumps regarding the new lower sulfur diesal fuel. It goes something like this:

Fuel not to be used in 2007 and later vehicles... could cause damage... etc.

What does this mean? Anyone else hear anything abount this?

Old 06-27-2006, 03:50 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you have a truck built be4 07 dont worry...you can run both typs of fuel.the 07 and newer moters will only run on the new fuel...

Old 06-27-2006, 07:10 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
The EPA has started lowering sulfer content in diesel, and also enforcing some pretty strict restrictions on the newer diesels....Which use only this low sulfer fuel.

You can run this low sulfer diesel no problem...just try to put some Diesel Kleen in with your fuel fill up, as sulfer acts as a lubricant....Diesel Kleen will replace these lubricant's. Diesel Kleen is made by Power Services, you can find it in just about any auto parts store, its in a grey bottle.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:17 AM
PSNut
Postmaster
Toss some biodiesel in her too and that will take care of any lubricity needs.

Nut

Old 06-27-2006, 07:26 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by PSNut
Toss some biodiesel in her too and that will take care of any lubricity needs.

Nut
Hey Nut-

I am a biodiesel virgin (of sorts ) Anyway, I really want to get into making my own biodiesel but I haven't quite gotten there yet.

My question is, other than making sure I have some spare fuel filters handy, what else might I need in preparation for running biofuel? How will my 7.3 run on biofuel? I live in Colorado so gelling is a cause for concern, ESPECIALLY in the winter (I cant even keep petro diesel from gelling without block heater)...I've been reading about those dual-tank aftermarket systems that take straight veggie oil, what do you think about those? I'm thinking the salt content in any used veggie oil, no matter how filtered it is, could damage the inside of my motor (injectors especially)
Your thoughts??

Old 06-27-2006, 07:46 AM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Smokin'
Hey Nut-

I am a biodiesel virgin (of sorts ) Anyway, I really want to get into making my own biodiesel but I haven't quite gotten there yet.

My question is, other than making sure I have some spare fuel filters handy, what else might I need in preparation for running biofuel? How will my 7.3 run on biofuel? I live in Colorado so gelling is a cause for concern, ESPECIALLY in the winter (I cant even keep petro diesel from gelling without block heater)...I've been reading about those dual-tank aftermarket systems that take straight veggie oil, what do you think about those? I'm thinking the salt content in any used veggie oil, no matter how filtered it is, could damage the inside of my motor (injectors especially)
Your thoughts??
I'm with u...haven't used it yet and just read about others using it. My plans are to pump in a small amount on occaision. I have to go out of my way to get some. have u checked out this FORUM yet?
Nut

Last edited by PSNut; 06-27-2006 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:08 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've never done the home brewed biodiesel, but before I moved to CO a few months ago, I was filling up with bio at a station in SC. My truck ran much quieter with it, and power was the same. Also, after I moved here a few weeks later I decided to hutch and harpoon the tank. When I dropped it I was shocked that my tank was perfectly clean. No sludge, deposits, and absolutely nothing in the pickup screen, it looked brand spanking new. Bio will completely clean your fuel system.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:48 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by Pocket
I've never done the home brewed biodiesel, but before I moved to CO a few months ago, I was filling up with bio at a station in SC. My truck ran much quieter with it, and power was the same. Also, after I moved here a few weeks later I decided to hutch and harpoon the tank. When I dropped it I was shocked that my tank was perfectly clean. No sludge, deposits, and absolutely nothing in the pickup screen, it looked brand spanking new. Bio will completely clean your fuel system.
Pocket I've had some people tell me that there are a few bio stations up north...like in the Thornton area. I'm not sure quite where but I think you can look them up on the web. It might be worth a short drive just to get the tank and motor cleaned out...as I have heard the same about bio's cleansing capabilities (hence the new fuel filter)....i'm just scared cuz its "new". I've been periodically reading the threads in the biodiesel section here...bio fuel is much more complicated then I thought it was (or was hoping it might be) and it seems like the guys spend a lot of time and money trying to get it right.

...but it would be nice to have my own fill up station in the back yard

Old 06-27-2006, 08:50 AM
wolftan
Senior User
Just and fyi for any of you South Texans....might want to check out Willie Nelson's biodiesel stations on 35 between austin and dallas...there are about 2 or 3.

Old 06-27-2006, 10:20 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
yeah, but prices are higher there than at a regular station.

go figure

Old 06-27-2006, 10:24 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here is a US map of all the Biodiesel stations listed...
http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodi...lfuelingsites/

Old 06-27-2006, 10:31 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokin'
Pocket I've had some people tell me that there are a few bio stations up north...like in the Thornton area.
I've looked but it's not worth the extra drive at this time just for bio. My truck runs fine with the dino stuff right now. If a station near me starts selling the stuff, I'll be lining up. For now it's just toooooooo faaaaaaaaaaaaaar aaaaaaaaaway.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by Pocket
I've looked but it's not worth the extra drive at this time just for bio. My truck runs fine with the dino stuff right now. If a station near me starts selling the stuff, I'll be lining up. For now it's just toooooooo faaaaaaaaaaaaaar aaaaaaaaaway.
According to that map posted by Clintbonnie (ty, ty, ) there are some stations in Denver and Commerce City...hmmmmm................................

I might have to give one of em a try. Where I work, just a hop and a skip from commerce city.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:34 PM
bjvagts
Freshman User
Do you add any DK to the biodiesel?

Old 06-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by bjvagts
Do you add any DK to the biodiesel?
that would be a good question for the Bio Diesel forum...Those guys know everything about BD...

I know biodiesel has different mixes of bio and petro, so it seems to me that rated mixture of bio will determine whether or not DK will blend...

In all reality I have no idea. I'll link this thread in the bio forum and see what they have to say about it.

Quick Reply: New low sulfur fuel warning??!?!?!?!