Sponsored by: DP Tuner

where to vent CCV ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 07:26 PM
TNT in Round Rock
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where to vent CCV ?

after doing my CCV mod a couple of weeks ago, I just noticed something. Truck was idling in the driveway after I did my 5" exhaust and i saw smoke from the undercarriage. I thought "great, exh is leaking, better tighten something"

As I got closer, I realized it's my CCV hose that I routed all the way to the back, stops over the rear axle.

To keep from having that oily residue everywhere, where should I vent it. Is there some type of collection can I can make ? Or do some people have it tapped to the exhaust ? If someone has pics I would appreciate it.

Old 06-24-2006, 07:56 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is mine on the 90 going to thru the bed. Got all the parts from Lowes.

Old 06-24-2006, 09:11 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...&albumid=21220 is how i did mine.

mine will soon look like Rampage's though, im doing that vertical deal.

Old 06-24-2006, 09:30 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Yet another vote for dumping it into the exhaust - I hated that stinky oil fog wafting out from underneath my truck

Old 06-24-2006, 10:00 PM
RockyMtnRanger
Senior User
And another vote for putting it into the exhaust....

Old 06-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
I agree, someday I may plumb mine into the exhaust. However, it's been dumping down just above the rear axle like yours for over 3 years and it does stink if you're stuck in traffic at a light and the air moves just right.

On a positive note, I have no residue buildup anywhere. Also, just because it's plumbed into the exhaust does not mean it won't stink anymore. It is still the same vapor being pushed into somebody elses world, and sometimes yours depending on the wind.

Old 06-25-2006, 12:36 AM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by RockyMtnRanger
And another vote for putting it into the exhaust....

Rocky, what is that part you are using connected to the threaded sleeve?

Old 06-25-2006, 01:23 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by pmasley
Rocky, what is that part you are using connected to the threaded sleeve?
Nipple

Check Valve

Old 06-25-2006, 01:35 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
as for the nipple you can buy 1/2" black iron pipe about 5" long cut one end at a 45deg angle and weld it in, cost is about $1.50 instead of $10, that is what is in the headers on my race engine, infact my last 3 race engines and it's always worked good. Just don't get galvanized pipe as it's a pain to weld.

Old 06-25-2006, 01:47 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by monsterbaby
as for the nipple you can buy 1/2" black iron pipe about 5" long cut one end at a 45deg angle and weld it in, cost is about $1.50 instead of $10, that is what is in the headers on my race engine, infact my last 3 race engines and it's always worked good. Just don't get galvanized pipe as it's a pain to weld.
you're right about that one. I got that one and found it was a little more that what I wanted so I returned it and got the black pipe, cut it and had it welded in. The only thing that unit has over the pipe with teh 45 degree cut is that there is another extra cut made in it. Not a biggie, IMO.

Old 06-25-2006, 12:27 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Im going to ask a dumb question, as I am a new psd owner, what is the reason for doing this mod?

Old 06-25-2006, 12:33 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
fordboy, you need to know one thing first of there is not dumb questions. Reasons for doing this mod is the way the closed system works is it pulls the crankcase vent through the turbo, intercoooler and back through the engine, and that contains some oil which fills up your intake tract with the oil. Look at your boots for the intercooler pipes, notice them getting oily? Well that from the oil coming through the crankcase vent, and if they get bad enough can actually cause them to blow off during high boost situation. Also the oil in the intercooler will reduce it's effectivness. And lastly, and igot this from my nieghbor who has seen it happen on several construction workers pickups if your running in a lot of dust and accidently let your air filter get plugged, the diesel will get the air somewhere so it will pull it through the crankcase and can actually suck all the oil out of the engine and burn it up.

Old 06-25-2006, 12:43 PM
TNT in Round Rock
Posting Guru
thanx for the photos guys ... guess i'll get me a small piece of pipe, grab my welder and go to work !

Old 06-25-2006, 02:19 PM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I understand the check valve. That is what I thought it was. It will let pressure go only one way. Where did you get it?

I have my plumbing dumping behind the cab and I am tired of the smell.

As I have aluminumized pipe, I will have to do it a little differently. But, I have that part figured out. As there is not that much heat involved in this area, I am just going to drill and tap, then use a bonding agent. Instead of using rubber the full length, I have some lightweight 1/2 inch aluminum tubing. I am going to bend it to match the exhaust from the axle crossover to the transmission mount. In other words, if needed, to make it look like it was factory installed for the Emisssion Police. They are a real PITA in Virginia (I have to go there quite a bit). I have already been stopped twice for the exhaust. Those butts whipped out their testers on me both times. The funny thing was both times, I had off road fuel and they never popped the cap.

Also, since the only time I use my truck for work, it is for off road, I cannot see actually where they can say anything. I cannot drive the Taurus on a timber or mining road.

Old 06-25-2006, 04:39 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by TNT in Round Rock
thanx for the photos guys ... guess i'll get me a small piece of pipe, grab my welder and go to work !
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...4&postcount=22

Quick Reply: where to vent CCV ?