Today's the day.... Holley setup.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 06:07 PM
fomocofan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CJJTulsa
So now you're going to attack me because I don't like Holleys? Who the ***** are you? I personally hate messing with them, and that is MY personal preference. If you like them, knock yourself out. I'll admit I don't know the best way to tune them, and I couldn't care less as I don't run them. My only reason for venturing into this fray is the fact that Fomocofan claims there is damage to be done by improper tuning, the question of "what damage" has been asked time and again, and he refuses to answer, only talk in circles about how no one knows diddly but him. I was just interested in the answer; for all I know he may work for Holley. I don't care. I was just interested in the answer.
I never said nobody knows Didly but me...Actually I have said HOLLEY knows best it's there way not mine!

BTW, I was never asked...I was told I should prove myself...

Gee, what do you think might happen when a fuel pump(acc. pump) thats squirts fuel isnt adjusted right???

It will leak fuel and you will end up with fuel in your oil...which will wash down the cylinders/hurt bearings..
Of course, you will say that you have fuel in your oil all the time and its never been a problem....LOL

It might not be a problem for some, but in race applications it has and will do engine damage.

Last edited by fomocofan; 06-25-2006 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:24 PM
CJJTulsa
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fomocofan
I never said nobody knows Didly but me...Actually I have said HOLLEY knows best it's there way not mine!

BTW, I was never asked...I was told I should prove myself...

Gee, what do you think might happen when a fuel pump(acc. pump) thats squirts fuel isnt adjusted right???

It will leak fuel and you will end up with fuel in your oil...which will wash down the cylinders/hurt bearings..
Of course, you will say that you have fuel in your oil all the time and its never been a problem....LOL

It might not be a problem for some, but in race applications it has and will do engine damage.
OK - I'll buy that. I thought he asked you what the damage was... I just wanted to hear what your answer was. I'll take my metering rods and run along now.....

Old 06-25-2006, 06:47 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
[QUOTE=fomocofan

[/QUOTE] Ok, so tell us, how the accellerator pump being adjusted wrong, will cause it to leak fuel into the throttle bores? If it somehow ruptures the diaphram, yea, it'll leak, but it'll leak all over the intake manifold, but not into the engine.That could cause a fire, but not contaminate the oil, unless somehow, shoddy engine building techniques came into play there. If you leave the check valve out, above the diaphram, the engine will suck fuel in, causing an overly rich condition, which in time could contaminate the oil with fuel, but it takes a LOT of fuel to do that. But in anycase that scenario has nothing to do with the pump arm adjustment.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:52 PM
fomocofan
Senior User
Originally Posted by baddad457
Ok, so tell us, how the accellerator pump being adjusted wrong, will cause it to leak fuel into the throttle bores? If it somehow ruptures the diaphram, yea, it'll leak, but it'll leak all over the intake manifold, but not into the engine.That could cause a fire, but not contaminate the oil, unless somehow, shoddy engine building techniques came into play there. If you leave the check valve out, above the diaphram, the engine will suck fuel in, causing an overly rich condition, which in time could contaminate the oil with fuel, but it takes a LOT of fuel to do that. But in anycase that scenario has nothing to do with the pump arm adjustment.
What an idiot!

I am tired of explaining to you how carbs work...
Yes it will drip/leak fuel into the "throttle bores" from the nozzle!

Last edited by fomocofan; 06-25-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:14 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fomocofan
What an idiot!

I am tired of explaining to you how carbs work...
Yes it will drip/leak fuel into the "throttle bores" from the nozzle!
Only if some idiot leaves the check valve out Once the pump chamber is dry, the fuel flow will stop, till the pump lever is released and lets fuel back in. If fuel is dripping into the intake from the nozzles while the engine's not running, then you have a stuck float or a too high float setting that's letting too much fuel into the bowl. And besides, you haven't explained anything, everyone else has done it for you, all you've contributed here is the end result, not the "why" it happened.

Last edited by baddad457; 06-25-2006 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:25 PM
fomocofan
Senior User
Only if some idiot leaves the check valve out Once the pump chamber is dry, the fuel flow will stop, till the pump lever is released and lets fuel back in. If fuel is dripping into the intake from the nozzles while the engine's not running, then you have a stuck float or a too high float setting that's letting too much fuel into the bowl. And besides, you haven't explained anything, everyone else has done it for you, all you've contributed here is the end result, not the "why" it happened.
You would have to have common sense to understand...I know you dont!

Lets try this...There is a little arm thingy on the side of the carb....are you with me so far???

It is pushed down by the cam on the trottle linkage...when the plunger arm is pushed down it squirts gas into the engine thru a nozzle...

The arm works a diaphram..it opens and closes depending on what position the arm is in...

If the arm/linkage isn't adjusted right the pump/diaphram will remain open...

I think you can fiqure out the rest....

Are you really this stupid or are you just playing a fool???

Old 06-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CJJTulsa
So now you're going to attack me because I don't like Holleys? Who the ***** are you? I personally hate messing with them, and that is MY personal preference. If you like them, knock yourself out. I'll admit I don't know the best way to tune them, and I couldn't care less as I don't run them. My only reason for venturing into this fray is the fact that Fomocofan claims there is damage to be done by improper tuning, the question of "what damage" has been asked time and again, and he refuses to answer, only talk in circles about how no one knows diddly but him. I was just interested in the answer; for all I know he may work for Holley. I don't care. I was just interested in the answer.
I would say you are just to lazy to learn to tune a Holley. Because if you can tune a Eldelbrock (Carter), Q-jet or a Thermoquad then it is only twice as easy to tune a Holley (the KISS principle carb), if you are willing to read a little an learn you would know. Which of course you aren't. FYI, fomocofan is right, by the way, and I've had to replace parts on some Holleys caused by incorrect adjusting, but then I worked as a professional paid mechanic on street car/trucks, boats and race cars and boats so I have seen it all and learned and it is obvious you won't so there can be no arguement about Holleys because by your own admission "You don't know crap about them". So maybe you ought to take yourself admitted ignorance and go way before you just make a bigger fool of yourself.

Old 06-25-2006, 08:52 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
It becomes more obvious you know nothing about Hollley carbs, every time you post. The accelerator pump has a one way valve into the pump from the float bowl (this ain't o Quadra-junk). So once the pump no longer has pressure in it's chamber, but a vacuum, the fuel flows into the pump and out into the nozzles and then into the engine. BTW, metal to metal valves are never a perfect seal but with a vacuum past the nozzles there will be a vacuum on the accellerator pump system to open all the valves in the system.

Last edited by Bear 45/70; 06-25-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:45 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
OK, yea, the fuel can still be pulled into the engine WHILE IT'S RUNNING. But once you shut it down, it stops flowing thru the accellerator pump circuit. Now, tell me how you're going to have enough fuel to contaminate the oil to the point where you're going to blow an engine? Ain't gonna happen. And if you think it could with the engine running, that's not likely either, the engine would have to be running so rich,that to do that, it would literally flood it to the point where it would quit running. Now, Bear, you claim that I know nothing, boy that's the pot calling the kettle black. I've seen you post incorrect info here almost as often as Fomocofan has. You just keep doing Holleys the way you think's right, I'll keep doing em my way, I haven't blow an engine up, from that or any other reason for that matter. You boys run along now and read your Holley book (and other books too) and do everything just as they say, we all know that what's printed in a book, must be correct, or the book police would have shut em down. Us "*******es" will just keep experimenting on our stuff and keep blowin stuff up, and if we happen to win a race or two over you two book worms, just remember, that was a fluke, we just got lucky.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:18 AM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
OK, yea, the fuel can still be pulled into the engine WHILE IT'S RUNNING. But once you shut it down, it stops flowing thru the accellerator pump circuit. Now, tell me how you're going to have enough fuel to contaminate the oil to the point where you're going to blow an engine? Ain't gonna happen. And if you think it could with the engine running, that's not likely either, the engine would have to be running so rich,that to do that, it would literally flood it to the point where it would quit running. Now, Bear, you claim that I know nothing, boy that's the pot calling the kettle black. I've seen you post incorrect info here almost as often as Fomocofan has. You just keep doing Holleys the way you think's right, I'll keep doing em my way, I haven't blow an engine up, from that or any other reason for that matter. You boys run along now and read your Holley book (and other books too) and do everything just as they say, we all know that what's printed in a book, must be correct, or the book police would have shut em down. Us "*******es" will just keep experimenting on our stuff and keep blowin stuff up, and if we happen to win a race or two over you two book worms, just remember, that was a fluke, we just got lucky.
Maybe you haven't blown it up but where are your championships, your records (local or national)? Have you made a living do this performance tuning and building stuff? I just don't believe, any guy who says that he knows better than the manufacture of a performance carb for 50 years. You sir, and I use the term loosely, are so full of your non-accomplishments and lack of knowledge and that it is not only scary but sad. Look bayuo boy, go kill a gator and quit dispensing your folk lore here. Either substantiate your claims and show your qualified to talk on the subject or shut up.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:18 AM
Falcon67
Mountain Pass
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Bear 45/70
It becomes more obvious you know nothing about Hollley carbs, every time you post. The accelerator pump has a one way valve into the pump from the float bowl (this ain't o Quadra-junk). So once the pump no longer has pressure in it's chamber, but a vacuum, the fuel flows into the pump and out into the nozzles and then into the engine. BTW, metal to metal valves are never a perfect seal but with a vacuum past the nozzles there will be a vacuum on the accellerator pump system to open all the valves in the system.
Oy - you'd have to have a hell of a restriction somewhere to create a depression to pull fuel from the pump shooters. And even then the depression will be referenced both at the top of the carb and in the fuel bowls. Can it happen - sure, but's rather rare and it sure won't happen a idle unless the fuel level is way high - then it'll be coming out the boosters and not the pump. Even is the lever is adjusted to partially apply the pump, all you get then is a reduced pump shot.

I run both Edelbrock and Holleys and both are excellent cars when tuned. And I also know several GM folks that will take great offense to the "quadra-junk" reference - those are killer carbs in the right hands.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:37 AM
mswift
Senior User
I've always referred to them as quadra-pukes.

Sorry, had to throw that in there. No intentions of offending anyone, and if someone starts to bash me, you will not get a response, cause it was a smart-*** comment I made and you should take it as that.

Last edited by mswift; 06-26-2006 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:38 AM
mswift
Senior User
oops, double post...

Old 06-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Falcon67
Oy - you'd have to have a hell of a restriction somewhere to create a depression to pull fuel from the pump shooters. And even then the depression will be referenced both at the top of the carb and in the fuel bowls. Can it happen - sure, but's rather rare and it sure won't happen a idle unless the fuel level is way high - then it'll be coming out the boosters and not the pump. Even is the lever is adjusted to partially apply the pump, all you get then is a reduced pump shot.

I run both Edelbrock and Holleys and both are excellent cars when tuned. And I also know several GM folks that will take great offense to the "quadra-junk" reference - those are killer carbs in the right hands.
If you had ever run a car on a chassis dyno and been able to look down the carb, you wouldn't be making that statement. Also this pulling fuel thru the accel system has nothing to do with where the pump is positioned at. It can happen anytime there is enough air flow thru the carb (it has nothing to do with manifold vacuum, but venturis and their effect on moving air. Anyone that takes offense at the "Quadra-junk" term never worked on them for a living. When it comes to performance, their float bowl is too small by at least half. I've rebuilt at least a 1000 of the things and they are fine for a stock street engine looking for economy, other than that don't bother with them. As to killer carbs in the right hands, I have personnally only met one guy that could make them sing. I know personnally 3 guys that can shoot the M-14 on full auto fire with accuracy, but then I can't do either and I doubt you can either.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:44 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bear 45/70
Maybe you haven't blown it up but where are your championships, your records (local or national)? Have you made a living do this performance tuning and building stuff? I just don't believe, any guy who says that he knows better than the manufacture of a performance carb for 50 years. You sir, and I use the term loosely, are so full of your non-accomplishments and lack of knowledge and that it is not only scary but sad. Look bayuo boy, go kill a gator and quit dispensing your folk lore here. Either substantiate your claims and show your qualified to talk on the subject or shut up.
Where are YOUR accomplishments ? I've never seen your championships either. Other than here in the FTE forums, you're a Legend in your own mind. If you don't like what I post here, just ignore it.

Quick Reply: Today's the day.... Holley setup.