Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Front Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 07:29 PM
X-Power
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Suspension?

I have been hearing sounds in the front end of my 1998 Explorer. It sounds like the shocks are loose or even worn out. A friend of mine who recently went for a ride asked if the front struts or shocks where worn out, I guess the sound is that noticable.

Since the shocks, Upper and lower ball joints, Sway bar links and bushings are all relatively new I am wondering what the sound could be? It happens mostly when going over small bumps in rapid succession, I don't notice it when hitting a large bump or pothole. I also noticed a metal on metal sound when I went over a speed bump recently.

With a 145k mi on the clock I am thinking it is either the Tie rods or the Torsion Bar pads (both Original). Is there any test or procedure I could perform that would confirm either way if these parts were ok?

Back in November the dealership replaced the inner drivers side tie rod end, maybe they have all gone bad.

Thanks for any help.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Rangerman Stan
Elder User
Check over all of the parts that were put on new recently. Sometimes new things come loose for one reason or another.

Old 06-23-2006, 08:35 AM
X-Power
Junior User
Ok I will and thanks...

Old 06-25-2006, 06:33 PM
X-Power
Junior User
Upper and lower ball joints, control arms, sway bar links and bushings were replaced less than 40k mi ago. Tires are about a year old. Just put in a second set of brand new front shocks because I thought the old ones were beat due to this problem. The new ones made little difference.

Last November the dealer installed a new inner tie rod end.

I inspecedted everything and it is all tight. Thinking back when the truck had 102k mi on it right before the ball joins etc I noticed this clunky noise problem, most noted over a succesion of small bumps and speed bumps. After the work the sound was still there.

I am thinking that it is either the other three tie rods gone bad or the Torsion bar insulator pads or torsion bars themselves.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Old 07-10-2006, 09:35 PM
maa139
Posting Guru
Jack up the front in the correct place...I believe under the lower control arm (I don't know off hand what the suspension on the 97 looks like). Grab the tire at 9 and 3 oclock and wiggle it. If you feel ANY looseness at all, there is something loose in the suspension. Then grab it at 6 and 12 and wiggle again. Again, there should be no looseness.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:07 AM
X-Power
Junior User
Thanks I will give it a try...