Axle housing ends - who can do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 03:50 PM
loveoldtrux
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axle housing ends - who can do?

Well, my F-100 has ground the bearings on one side of the diffy into the end-housing so that a new bearing / seal won't work properly... the housing end needs to be replaced. I might as well get BOTH ends while I'm at it - I've located the ends at a variety of places on the 'net... even Summit has 'em!!......

The shop I used to have all my engine work / machine work done at has changed hands after 30 years and the new owner of the shop didn't even know that new ends were available (need I say more?).....

So, it looks like I'll need to find a shop that can do this (I'll have the diffy out as I am installing new springs from Eaton) and I might have to explain WHAT to do.....

Anybody know where this process can get done "properly" at and how to explain it to the person doing it???.... I live near Atlanta and will have a small trailer to tow the diffy....

Are there any tips I need to pass on to the guy doing this? Should I get the "butt weld" or slide-em-in-weld-em-on" kind?

Thanks for reading

Old 06-21-2006, 10:23 PM
averagef250
Elder User
Those housing ends are intended for narrowing an axle housing, not repairing one. For the expense of welding new ends on you could easily buy 2 or three complete 28 spline pickup 9 inches.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:13 PM
loveoldtrux
Senior User
UPDATE on housing ends

I pulled both axles out this morning and it looks like the axle housing is a-oaky!!.... I caught the problem just in the nick of time.

Looks like I'll need the bearing for sure (will have both replaced while I'm in there) and the oil seals (they fit 2-3" into the rear end). Can I pop these seals out with the end of the axle or do I have to have a special puller of some sort?.....