1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Modifications for more power!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 02:05 PM
TurboTuna
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modifications for more power!

I have been considering a van, in particular a Quigley 4x4 conversion, for my next vehicle. Being a gearhead, my first question is how can I make it faster and stronger. So what can be done to late model vans to make more power?

The engine choice I have been considering is the PSD. I eventually plan to tow a camper trailer or a 24' boat on long trips. For towing I especially like the diesel's efficency. I was hoping that some of the offerings from Banks or toher mfgs. would work on the vans despite not actually being designed for a van.

So does anyone know what, if anything, be down to up the power on late model vans?

Old 06-21-2006, 03:33 PM
rclarke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
More power on a PSD should be no problem with all the tuners out there. The problem is getting rid of the extra heat the increase in power generates. Thats why Ford has detuned the PSD by some 80hp in the vans.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:51 PM
TurboTuna
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I should focus on making the drivetrain stronger. Sythetic fluids, better transmission cooler, etc. I was also thinking of a selectable locker differential, like an Eaton E-locker or an ARB, for the front and the rear. BFG All-Terrain KO tires.