Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Warn Hubs

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 04:52 PM
'78 Custom
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warn Hubs

I have a 91 Explorer 4 wheel drive and I was curious if the Warn locking Hubs came from the factory, or are they replacements for the factory hubs?

Old 06-20-2006, 08:46 PM
needyourhelp
New User
Ummm Warn hubs come from the Warn Factory. They are not Ford OEM parts.
No really, Im not quite sure what you are asking but Ill tell you that I installed Warn Manual locking hubs on my 94 Explorer. If you are going to install these you will also have to get the adapter kit to put these on. Im just a backyard mechanic and I had no problem doing this myself. The auto locking hubs seem to fail here after a few years in upstate Ny. There might be a way to clean and relube these so they work but I didnt have any luck so I just switched to the warn hubs and they work great. I just have to get out of the truck now to lock them in and out. No big deal for me.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:12 PM
MrSki
Senior User
Originally Posted by needyourhelp
Ummm Warn hubs come from the Warn Factory. They are not Ford OEM parts.
Actually you're wrong on this point. There's a guy around the corner from me with a 93 Ranger and he told me he special ordered Warn locking hubs from Ford when he bought his truck new. So it is possible someone did the same with an Explorer.

Yes Warn makes adapter kits to convert to manual locking hubs...only fitting too since Warn actually designed and provided the auto hubs that most Explorers and Rangers came with.

Old 06-21-2006, 02:55 PM
needyourhelp
New User
Ahh never knew that. I always thought Warn made excellant hubs from what I have heard, but Fords auto locking hubs are crap so I didn't think Warn made them.
Sometimes special order items are done out of the factory as in conversion vans, sunroofs etc.

Old 06-21-2006, 05:00 PM
MrSki
Senior User
Yeah I was surprised to. When I bought my 1993 new, I saw no options at all for manual hubs...but I didn't ask either. My neighbor apparently knew what he wanted and ordered it. If you PM me you email address, I can send a link to a website with a lot of usefull info on Gen 1 Explorers. The posting gods on this forum wont let me post the link.