1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 06:15 PM
schief13
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Satellite Radio

I have a 2007 SD on order with the Premium Stereo 6 CD In Dash option. I would like to consider satellite radio. Dose anyone know if any of the radios on the SDutys are satellite ready? Thanks

Old 06-13-2006, 07:12 PM
daveshan
Junior User
I just got an '06 and there was no offering of either Sirus or XM, I'm a big fan of XM so I got a FM converter that plugs into the back of my radio (AM/FM/6CD) and directly plugs my XM Roady into the system. $29 at Circuit City. The Roady sits in a mount in one of the cup holders (also from CC) in the center console right where it is easy to reach. I wired a dual cigarette adapter for the power cord to the upfitter switch #4 and routed the wires under the carpet. I used a dual adapter so the same switch can power my radar detector. Don't know why Ford's lighters aren't switched off with the ignition, quite annoying for powering accessories.

I prefer the portable XMs to in dash because I can just pop it out and put it in the home cradle and it's good to go inside. The Roady is ~$90 at Costco with both home and auto attachments.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by schief13
Dose anyone know if any of the radios on the SDutys are satellite ready? Thanks
To strictly answer that question, I would have to say no. The stock unit is not capable of doing the RDS (Radio Data System) display (responsible for displaying the station, track name, artist, etc.) nor is it capable of controlling an aftermarket satellite reciever through the stock controls.

There are a couple options out there for patching the audio from an aftermarket satellite reciever through the stock head unit, but they all have their own pros & cons. Your best bet is to do a bit of Googling (or whatever Internet search engine you prefer), and possibly hit up some local shops that deal with automotive stereo equipment to see what they have done for other customers.

Good luck with the hunt...

Old 06-14-2006, 09:01 AM
Bagger
Elder User
I like the always on feature. I am recording Stern on my s50 while I am sitting at my desk.

Old 06-14-2006, 09:08 AM
kelbur
New User
Solution may be available soon

I'v been researching the exact issue for my '05. According to my dealer's service department, a solution has been proto'd that will enable the Ford Sirius kit to work with the Premium CD-6 head unit through the aux. input. Was told this morning it may be generally available in approximately 6 mos.
Same question was posed to United Radio Service, a repair center in Syracuse NY for Ford OEM audio systems, and we got the same answer.

I am not interested in aftermarket clutter and want to keep the clean appearance of the OEM unit to avoid the attention petty thieves.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:25 PM
Bagger
Elder User
Kelbur r u in the Cuse?

Old 06-14-2006, 01:41 PM
rmilchman
Elder User
I have an '02 and had the same problem. This is waht I did. Bought a new unit on Ebay, which was better then the Ford and then sold the Ford unit on ebay. I ended up making about $150. Body shops will buy the used radios, and then install them for collision claims. You make money, they buy for less (they make money), the customer gets a working radio.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:49 PM
Bear6522
Junior User
Sirius Sat in Fords

I've installed a Sirius Sportster Unit in my 06 F350 Superduty using a PIE adapater. It interfaces using the AUX button on the in dash 6 Disch Changer. I certainly wouldn't recommend the FM transmitter option if you travel alot in your vehicle. The PIE unit eliminates local signals 'bleeding' into your SAT signal. My Sat antenna is mounted on the roof about 6 inches ahead of the upper brake light. I've for a couple of posts in the Audio section of the forum with the parts, etc.

Last night we purchased a 06 F150 Lariat Supercrew and made sure it included the SAT radio feature. It uses the same AUX button but is connected to a Sirius control box tucked neatly out of the way. The indash display reads the Sat information for the station/info that is playing. It's antenna is mounted just above the front passenger windshield.

We've enjoyed Sirius for four years and have tried several units. Our current setup seems to be best suited for our needs.

Old 06-14-2006, 02:27 PM
mountaincat900
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I use the sirius radio in my 05 PSD by the FM transmittor, works great and is clear except it will get some local signal bleeding in town sometimes, but on the highway its great. I would like it permantly wired in but I use it in my work vehcile also so I keep it portable. I know this for sure Sirius radio is awesome!!

Old 06-14-2006, 04:46 PM
Gigante
Senior User
The pie adaptor works so much better than modulation. I came from a Gm vehicle that had factory XM included - this PIE adaptor is a great alternative.

Last edited by Gigante; 06-14-2006 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:24 AM
wiingnut
Posting Guru
the pie adapter rocks. I use my sirius unit in 3 different vehicles. I keep a nest in each one hidden plug the unit in and go. I have the kenwood unit and keep it neatley tucked away in that so called glove box underneath the upfitter switches and tow command.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:05 PM
Bagger
Elder User
How hard is the PIE adapter ti install?

Old 06-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Bear6522
Junior User
PIE install

It's pretty easy to install. Everything is included with the device. The only extra connections you make are for power and ground. Both of those wires are included.

I feel the hardest part is locating the correct wire to splice into. My brother (who installed mine) used the ground wire and the power wire in the wiring harness for the existing in-dash unit to power the PIE and also the Sirius Sportster unit we installed. It makes a world of difference using a PIE unit and the AUX button on the head unit.

Your other choice is to use the standard FM transmitter of your Satelite radio system which is ok if you don't travel too much. Otherwise local stations bleed over into your preset FM transmission station.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:25 PM
daveshan
Junior User
Originally Posted by Bear6522

Your other choice is to use the standard FM transmitter of your Satelite radio system which is ok if you don't travel too much. Otherwise local stations bleed over into your preset FM transmission station.
Not quite, there is a simple $29 dollar device that goes in line with your vehicle's antenna and both cuts the signal from the truck's antenna when the XM/Sirus is on and feeds the signal from the XM/Sirus into the radio to a frequency you select.

No power or ground to worry about just put it in line, hook it to the "antenna" port of the XM/Sirus and hook the XM/Sirus' antenna into the device and you're good to go. I just put 1900 miles on my SD from San Diego to Durango and back with crystal clear reception all the way. Some places I stopped there was a station brodcasting on the frequency I was using and I never heard it 'till I turned of my XM.

Not saying it's better, just cheap and easy to install, and no interference.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Bear6522
Junior User
I stand corrected. There are several options to choose from. Be sure you find the one that's most suited to your listening habits.

Enjoy your Sat. Radio