Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Outside the bed stacks

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 08:07 PM
DaveWilliams
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Outside the bed stacks

Here is the thread that I promised to start regarding suggestions for outside the bed stacks...I have a 2002 Crew cab,long box dually F350. I like the looks of the inside the bed stacks, but I have a need to put a generator in the front of the bed of my truck for the 5th wheel I drag with me and I also have one of the soft "Truxedo" bed covers to cover the generator when I disconnect the trailer. I have been looking and taking suggestions for the outside the bed stacks....Thanks to everyone for your help...Dave

Old 06-12-2006, 08:38 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my best suggestion is to dismount the bed, and customize the mounting brackets, bolt the brackets to the front of the bed (between the cab and the bed) and then mount the stacks right behind the front corner of the bed. it would be nice if you had alot of fabbing skills (maybe you do, IDK), and cut out a hole on each side of the front bottom corner of the bed, so you could run the pipe through there and not have any show below (or not much of it). then use custom piping and lots of flex piping to get what you want. it's not my look, but i do think it will look good on a dually. next you will need a big honking "out-of-hood" air cleaner canister like the big rigs have

are you going 4, 5, or 6" stacks?

Old 06-12-2006, 08:57 PM
DaveWilliams
Elder User
Thumbs up Probably 5inch stacks

Thanks for the suggestion. Considering the width of the stacks, including the heat shields, I will probably go with 5 inch stacks. I will be using a 4 inch downpipe with 4 inch up to the last 90* where they turn up to go beside the bed. Its all up in the air right now and I will consider all suggestions. I still have to keep the total width within an imaginary plane of the outside of the duallys....I think it might be 8 feet even or something like that. My trailer is 8' and I think that is about the DOT max or something close to that anyway....Figuring in the space between the stack and the paint....give or take a couple of inches...the 5 or 6 inch stack, would make the total distance between the bed skin and the outside edge of the heat shield should be no more than 10 inches....Lots to consider that's probably I haven't seen them before...but I will keep on trying...despite my best efforts, it will be successful!!

Old 06-12-2006, 09:00 PM
DaveWilliams
Elder User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
Next you will need a big honking "out-of-hood" air cleaner canister like the big rigs have

are you going 4, 5, or 6" stacks?
Well one thing I do have.....something that belongs on some diesel with waaaaayyy more torque than all of us have put together......I have a 150psi compressor powering a set of train horns!!! They are a triple trumpet setup and when I blow them at work, they think a tugboat is coming through our parking lot...thank goodness for a remote horn blowing option!!!

Old 06-12-2006, 09:04 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do you want to ship them to me? ive been looking for a set.