gage or pump....

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 02:39 PM
3broncocrazy
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question gage or pump....

So yesterday after work....

96 would not start, turning over good......

after a few hours of trouble shooting electrical, etc.....and a pull to the house with a big black dodge........

stopped at gas station and put 2 gallons of gas in and fired right up - DUH

So gage was on 1/4 full, so is the fuel pump going out or the fuel gage now wrong......

either way after a few beers to celebrate not having to drop the fuel tank to replace the fuel pump.......it didn't matter. One day it might.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:09 PM
70blue
Postmaster
I can't be sure what it is sitting at my chair. Plus unfortunately if it is the pump or sender I think you will be dropping a tank. How strong does the pump sound when you first turn on the switch? Could be possibly some trash in your tank that got suspended away from the pump when you put those two gallons in. I kind of doubt the guage itself is bad but it is possible. I will check my chiltons to see if I can find some troubleshooting procedures. To be honest these fuel injection vehicles still stump me at times. Good luck on finding the problem we cant have you pulled by any more black dodges. I hope you don't even have to be pulled by any fords.

From what little I know I am suspecting trash in the tank or a sender problem. Were you parked on an incline?

Last edited by 70blue; 06-07-2006 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:37 PM
70blue
Postmaster
I tried chiltons and as usual it was a little vague. If you need to look at it during the meet I will try to bring the disk with me though.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:23 PM
GrayRanger4x4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds likeThe "Bronco gas gage dont work right"!
I know that with the BIIs the sending unit in the tank will go bad.Eather you figure out how many miles you can drive on a tank of gas or drop the tank and replace it.If you do that go ahead and replace the fuel pump while you got the tank down.

Old 06-08-2006, 05:14 AM
3broncocrazy
Postmaster
Well yesterday after a few runs and a fill up - it failed me again.....this time no pull home, changed fuel filter in parking lot of gas station - NOTHING - After a few "taps" on the tank to the house i made it......yes, it will be nice now to know it's the pump and not some other electrical problem

now the tank gets dropped today. last night was dumping ~31 gallons of gas for use in other vehicles.....

this is going to be fun.....

Last edited by 3broncocrazy; 06-08-2006 at 05:37 AM.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:23 AM
3broncocrazy
Postmaster
Fuel pump is in!!! Man, air tools are nice (and the raminator was too) ~3 hour job including parts chase....

Late night parts chase w/no sending unit from parts house - FOMOCO part i guess, now the gage is going to be wrong. We shouldn't have been so rough with the sending unit, thougt it would be sold as a whole unit........now it will be checking the miles for sure....

the crap thing that i didn't like was you had to put a but splice in the unit from the pump to the elect connection, oh well did a good pull test.....just don't have a good feeling about another 192k miles before going in the tank again

Last edited by 3broncocrazy; 06-09-2006 at 05:33 AM.