1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

leaking transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 11:32 AM
yellow72f100
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leaking transmission

I have a C-4 tranny on '72 F-100 with a 302. I went to the carwash to spray the undercarriage in prep for some Radius arm bushing work. When I got back home, transmission fluid was pouring out. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from since it was dripping from the crossmount under the transmission. Where do I need to look? How hard is it to drop the transmission and change any gaskets? I do not know if the transmission is original. The truck originally came with a 360 engine and I don't know if a C-4 will bolt up to that. I do have an automatic w/overdrive that came with the truck. Will it bolt to the 302? I know I have thrown out a bunch of questions at one time but any help will be appreciated.

Old 06-06-2006, 12:00 PM
1970Custom
Postmaster
I'd guess there's a gasket or o-ring leak, seeing as its coming off of the crossmember, I could be wrong though.

Just about all of the seals are accessable from under the truck, you don't even have to worry about the C-member.

The AOD will bolt up to the 302, and they're not too bad, don't try to haul alot with them though, IMO they're a good tranny for a cruiser or a daily driver.

Old 06-06-2006, 12:01 PM
FordBoypete
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yellow72f100,
C-4s do not bolt to FE engines without adapting them. So my guess would be it is not the original A/T.

You need to decide if the fluid loss is the result of pressure, which would indicate line, loose fitting, hose or clamp, a front seal cracked case, something like that where pressure is present.

Or if it is a result of seepage, such as a pan gasket output-shaft, shift lever shaft or some other screw in part.

It depends on what you mean by an automatic with overdrive, and if it was on the 360 when you got your truck.

If it was on the 360, which is an FE, the answer is "No Fit" without a lot of grief.
If the Overdrive is a bolt on accessory afternarket O/D I doubt the A/T will fit. But a second generation A4OD from 87-91-2 from a 5.0L will fit & can be made ti work stand alone style on your 302.

FBp

Old 06-06-2006, 01:37 PM
yellow72f100
Junior User
Thanks for the quick reply. While there does seem to be small seepage around the pan, this deluge of transmission oil seems to be coming from on top of the tranny. Is it hard to replace the front seal?

Old 06-06-2006, 06:35 PM
banjopicker66
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check your transmission dipstick for water in the transmission.

If fluid is coming out the top, the only outlet there I know of is the overflow/vent tube. You may be pouring out fluid because it appears to be over filled, due to water getting inside. Perhaps when you pressure washed it, it got in somehow? Through the dipstick tube perhaps??

Otherwise, a coolant line may have sprung a leak, and is spraying it upwards??

You really need to check it out with it running, I think.

Good luck! Hopefully, it is a simple easy fix.