Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need help regarding coolant

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 12:41 PM
Vijay
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Need help regarding coolant

I stopped by a local Auto mall to pick up coolant last weekend and I could not find any coolant that specifically said “For Ford trucks” or “Diesel Trucks”. All I see Anti freeze (summer coolant etc), I don’t see any coolant that is green in color as my truck’s coolant is. Also the guys at the auto mall are not sure which one to use either. The stealer ship is asking $75 to service it when all I need is to bring up the level of the coolant to proper level.

I went ahead and picked up {“PITT PENN” premium permanent antifreeze, summer coolant}. Do I have to mix this with water or is it ok to add it directly to the coolant tank . The level of Coolant in the tank is slightly below min right now.

Old 06-05-2006, 03:44 PM
ILBCNUL8R
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In order to assist you, we'd need to know the specifics regarding your truck. Ford's coolant specifications changed considerably for Ford 7.3L PSD's in the time span between 1999 and 2003.

Cooling system maintenance for these vehicles is not as simple as merely adding any old antifreeze. Their are some important issues such as Supplemental Coolant Additives which you need to address.

At a minimum, could you please list your model year, engine and build date? It might even help if we knew which Ford plant built your truck.

Thanks!

Old 06-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford states before 2/4/02 use green after 2/4/02 use yellow(gold) but if you have green and completely flush system you can use the the gold if you choose to.

Ed

Premium Engine Coolant

Green-colored, conventional, ethylene glycol based, universal formulation for use in gasoline and diesel engines
Approved for engines with aluminum radiators and/or aluminum heads as well as conventional engines
Provides year-round antifreeze, antiboil and corrosion protection
Provides year-round protection in both hot and cold climates. Provides -35°F winter to over 250°F summer system protection when used in the recommended 50% mix with
Do not use in model year 1999 and forward Cougar and Electric Vehicle Ranger
Do not mix this coolant with systems originally equipped with any orange-colored, extended-life coolant such as Motorcraft® Specialty Orange Engine Coolant, meeting Ford Material Specification WSS-M97B44-D or the yellow-colored, extended-life coolant Motorcraft® Premium Gold Engine Coolant, meeting Ford Material Specification WSS-M97B51-A1

Premium Gold Engine Coolant

Yellow-colored, extended-life, ethylene glycol based engine coolant for use in gasoline and diesel engines
Provides year-round antifreeze, antiboil and corrosion protection
Only use where specified. Do not mix this product with systems originally equipped with any green-colored, conventional engine coolant such as Motorcraft® Premium Engine Coolant, meeting Ford Material Specification ESE-M97B44-A or any orange-colored,extended-life engine coolant such as Motorcraft® Specialty Orange Engine Coolant, meeting Ford Material Specification WSS-M97B44-D

Heavy-Duty Cooling System Additive (vc-8)

For use in heavy-duty diesel engine cooling systems only
Designed to replace the additives depleted when coolant is used for extended drain intervals
Recommended for use in 7.3L Power Stroke® diesel engine
Use only where specified

Old 06-05-2006, 09:25 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Vijay
I went ahead and picked up {“PITT PENN” premium permanent antifreeze, summer coolant}. Do I have to mix this with water or is it ok to add it directly to the coolant tank . The level of Coolant in the tank is slightly below min right now.
With the level being that close you could top it off with water and be fine. Look on the back label of the jug you bought. If it has an ASTM rating of 4985 or 6210 it is good for your truck. (4985 needs SCA's 6210 does not)

Originally Posted by discountfordpart
Heavy-Duty Cooling System Additive (vc-8)

For use in heavy-duty diesel engine cooling systems only
Designed to replace the additives depleted when coolant is used for extended drain intervals
Recommended for use in 7.3L Power Stroke® diesel engine
Use only where specified
That is a very important part of your cooling system. If you have not done so, you need to aquire the test strips for testing the coolant SCA level and add VC-8 as necessary.

Old 06-06-2006, 02:28 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used the same coolant I put in my old Detroit.
FleetPride lifetime condensed.
It is not cheap at $28 a gallon, but I am getting discount and on the side of having perfectly balanced SCA it is mixable with all other coolants, so no full flushing is necessary.
Did I mention it it lifetime?

BTW I also added the coolant filter. The housing was $26, the filter with SCA chemicals in it $37.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Vijay
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ILBCNUL8R
In order to assist you, we'd need to know the specifics regarding your truck. Ford's coolant specifications changed considerably for Ford 7.3L PSD's in the time span between 1999 and 2003.

Cooling system maintenance for these vehicles is not as simple as merely adding any old antifreeze. Their are some important issues such as Supplemental Coolant Additives which you need to address.

At a minimum, could you please list your model year, engine and build date? It might even help if we knew which Ford plant built your truck.

Thanks!
My truck is F350, 2000model(build date is 02/03/2000 or some where close to that),7.3L Power stroke, Super chip, Crew Cab, Dually, 36K miles on it(see picture gallery),Lariat LE, Naviga sys etc...