1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Yet another question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 08:17 PM
fiddysixF
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another question

Can someone tell me how many years the running boards kept the same "tread" design on the top surface of the running board? I know the shape and length of the boards changed, but I'm talking about the pattern of the top metal. I have a hole that was cut out of my D.S. running board (I assume for an exhaust stack) and need to patch this. Does anyone make a patch? I only need a piece about 6" sq. to fix it. I'll post a pic in my gallery.
Thanks in advance!

Old 06-04-2006, 11:55 PM
53fatfndr
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The '53-'56 used the same running boards. I have no idea if the pre '53 trucks have the right rib spacing/pattern to make a patch panel. I haven't heard of patch panels for running boards. But, again, '53-'56 boards would work.

Old 06-05-2006, 07:23 AM
fiddysixF
Senior User
Originally Posted by 53fatfndr
The '53-'56 used the same running boards. I have no idea if the pre '53 trucks have the right rib spacing/pattern to make a patch panel. I haven't heard of patch panels for running boards. But, again, '53-'56 boards would work.
Thanks for the reply! I hoping finding a patch wont be too hard. Its a shame. The runnning boards are in really good shape other than the hole.

Old 06-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may be able to find a pair of trashed or rusted out boards that are good just in the area you need. Good used running boards are hard to find. New ones are very pricey. Many folks just toss rusted out ones that would be perfect for your needs.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:19 PM
fiddysixF
Senior User
Originally Posted by Randy Jack
You may be able to find a pair of trashed or rusted out boards that are good just in the area you need. Good used running boards are hard to find. New ones are very pricey. Many folks just toss rusted out ones that would be perfect for your needs.
Thats what I'm hoping, that I'll be able to find just a piece. About 6" square is all I need................. keep me in mind everyone!!

Old 06-05-2006, 11:58 PM
MrF-1
Junior User
I know you will not find a patch. Who would make one. Problem is you are suffering from a case of custom work. No one makes patches for things that are not suppost to be there. Anywhoo if you can install a patch why can you not make something. Sounds like you know how to do some body work!! Just a thought!!

Old 06-06-2006, 09:23 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
post a pic of the area, I have a pair of trashed running boards that may be good where you need the patch

Old 06-06-2006, 09:29 AM
fiddysixF
Senior User
Originally Posted by fatfenders56
post a pic of the area, I have a pair of trashed running boards that may be good where you need the patch
There is a pic of the running board in my gallery. The hole is capped w/ a plate that the P.O. welded in. The hole is just behind the cab corner, thats why I was guessing someone had a exhaust stack on the truck at one time.
Thanks for the help guys!

Old 06-06-2006, 01:04 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can sort of see that, all pics in your gallery enlarge to full size except that one.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:08 PM
fiddysixF
Senior User
Originally Posted by fatfenders56
I can sort of see that, all pics in your gallery enlarge to full size except that one.
Really? Sorry, I'll delete the pic and try to upload it again.