2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me pick new tires...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 12:36 PM
FS-150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mountainar15
I'm currently running that size in a Toyo without a lift (unless you consider a leveling kit a lift). You can see them in my gallery on both the stock wheels and the new wheels.
Let me see if I have this correct... You want to switch from the Toyo A/T's on your truck to something more agressive for the mud? How about the Toyo MT's? Is there something else about the A/T's you don't like? Just curious because I have the Toyo A/T's on mine and I think they are a great tire. I don't take them in the mud much though... I just noticed something, the new tire size you are looking for is a 285/70/17. Are you looking to get a second set of wheels and tires to be used exclusively for offroading?

Old 06-07-2006, 12:49 PM
mountainar15
Junior User
Originally Posted by FS-150
Let me see if I have this correct... You want to switch from the Toyo A/T's on your truck to something more agressive for the mud? How about the Toyo MT's? Is there something else about the A/T's you don't like? Just curious because I have the Toyo A/T's on mine and I think they are a great tire. I don't take them in the mud much though... I just noticed something, the new tire size you are looking for is a 285/70/17. Are you looking to get a second set of wheels and tires to be used exclusively for offroading?
No, I am looking to downsize to 17s permanetly. The tires are cheaper and there is a wider selection of sizes. I can only get Toyo MTs in a 35x12.50R18. I'd have to put a lift on to fit them. If I drop to 17 inch wheels, then there's a whole assorment of mud tires to choose from in smaller sizes.

I like the Toyo A/Ts, but this particular size is too wide for snow and mud. Again, I'm limited with the 18 inch size. They're a great all-terrain tire, but I would like to try something more aggressive.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:17 PM
FS-150
Senior User
Originally Posted by mountainar15
No, I am looking to downsize to 17s permanetly. The tires are cheaper and there is a wider selection of sizes. I can only get Toyo MTs in a 35x12.50R18. I'd have to put a lift on to fit them. If I drop to 17 inch wheels, then there's a whole assorment of mud tires to choose from in smaller sizes.

I like the Toyo A/Ts, but this particular size is too wide for snow and mud. Again, I'm limited with the 18 inch size. They're a great all-terrain tire, but I would like to try something more aggressive.
Gotcha.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:07 AM
one5150fisher
Junior User
Micky tompson baha radial. Great tire, best grip for all around and not $$$. I had 33" they were a little wide for the stock rim I would go with the next size down if you are going to keep the same rims. Great in mud and on the road. I now have a lift and 35"s and I wish thay made them in that size. They also have good side bite.

Old 06-09-2006, 08:40 AM
bigdavewilson
Elder User
My experience is that wide tread tires are great on pavement and they generally suck for mud, snow and gravel roads. Some of us actually take our trucks off pavement on occasion.

Old 06-09-2006, 08:42 AM
bigdavewilson
Elder User
Originally Posted by triple8
From personal past experience you can not go wrong with the BFG AT KO. I have had them on many vehciles in the past. My problem is they do not make one in ethe size I would like for my truck now.

So I am considering the MT's
In greasy mud the AT's clog up and become a slick. For real mud you need a more open tread tire that will clear better. Overall, I have to agree the the AT's are a great tire, just not in mud.

BTW the reason I love this forum is because of exactly what we are doing now, comparing our experiences so that we can arrive at the best compromises in the future. Any tire choice is some sort of a compromise based on how we believe we will use our vehicle in a variety of conditions.

Last edited by bigdavewilson; 06-09-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:45 AM
one5150fisher
Junior User
I must clarify myself, they were Micky Tompson Baja Radial MTX tires not the claw. The BFG AT tires are the worst for becomming a slick in the mud. These tires have a More than AT grip but are not quite a MT. The design of the tire has three open groves that throw out the mud and everything else. I have also had problems with steering shudder with the MT style tires. These trucks are a little sensitive.

Old 06-10-2006, 11:06 AM
bigdavewilson
Elder User
Just remembered another tire to check out if it's finally available in 17 inch and that's the Toyo M-55. The oil patch guys here in Alberta love that tire and they deal with all sorts of roads and conditions. Once again it's a compromise tire, but in my experience definitely better in mud than the BFG AT.

Lest you think that I'm just blowing wind here check out my gallery. My current truck started out with BFG AT's and my last truck started out (and ended the lease) with M-55's. For the last 3 years I have lived in places where I could easily get stuck in my "driveway" and tires have been very important to my peace of mind.