1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convince Me to come over

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 03:54 PM
Grodyman
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the recent problems of the 6.0, you are risking purchasing a flawed motor on an otherwise good truck. I would think resale would be lower based on reputation. I read other truck forums as well as most of us do, and there are by far more negative posts on this forum relating to the motor than any other diesel. This motor has a BAD rep, for good reason, and will not be around much longer. You are buying a lame duck.

I almost made the same mistake, but powers intervened. My OPINION is that right now, based on truck, motor, trans, etc, Dodge trucks are on par with ford quality wise, aesthetics wise, and capability wise. When you add Cummins vs 6.0 Navistar into the equation, no comparison, plus Dodge trucks cost less. Ford's marketing department is brilliant, would have to be.
Grodyman

Old 06-04-2006, 06:35 PM
Warring
New User
If your posting on this site you are already starting to give up on the Chevy. All you need now is the final push to justify the reason for buying the better truck. It's OK to feel remorse, but Ford will always get you home. Remember why we are all here, support for one another, because nothing in this world is perfect. I never have regretted buying mine. The final choice is yours but we are all behind the obvious one, you did come to our house remember. Built Ford Tough!

Old 06-04-2006, 07:44 PM
marv02
Senior User
But There one thing

I wish all the Newer Type trucksn this not only Fords This for all trucks came with Heavy gauge steel truck beds I do understand why they are thin gauge metal to save weight and fuel.

But I dont Know about you my truck gets bad miliage in the first place knowing this when you purchase a full size truck If I wanted miliage I would of gotten a Honda Car.

I much Rather have one of the old school heavy steel gauge Truck bed you can load just about anything you want and not bend it, I bent the front of my 2002 truck bed the first time I loaded up my 200 lbs dirt bike and tied it down and not long after bent the tail gate under normal use this is a heavy duty truck?.

Old 06-04-2006, 08:16 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,519 Likes on 2,163 Posts
To find a bed that doesn't bend hasn't been around since the fifties, then the wood rotted out of them. An after market is the only way to go if your going to haul stone, they also make a slide in dump that is popular. I dropped a bale of hay on dads 70 Chevy truck, the tail gate didn't survive....oops

Old 06-04-2006, 10:28 PM
marv02
Senior User
I 2nd that

The truck beds of the 1950 are tuff but at least the truck beds of the 60's and 70's were a lot heavyer than 1999 on up not if I looking for dump truck type bed just 1960 to 70's strong not when you put something small as my wife big butt in it and wacth the tail gate bend Oh I better take that back she mite read this Ha Ha she not that big.

Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
To find a bed that doesn't bend hasn't been around since the fifties, then the wood rotted out of them. An after market is the only way to go if your going to haul stone, they also make a slide in dump that is popular. I dropped a bale of hay on dads 70 Chevy truck, the tail gate didn't survive....oops

Old 06-04-2006, 10:46 PM
moldman7n
Senior User
Originally Posted by Grodyman
With the recent problems of the 6.0, you are risking purchasing a flawed motor on an otherwise good truck. I would think resale would be lower based on reputation. I read other truck forums as well as most of us do, and there are by far more negative posts on this forum relating to the motor than any other diesel. This motor has a BAD rep, for good reason, and will not be around much longer. You are buying a lame duck.

I almost made the same mistake, but powers intervened. My OPINION is that right now, based on truck, motor, trans, etc, Dodge trucks are on par with ford quality wise, aesthetics wise, and capability wise. When you add Cummins vs 6.0 Navistar into the equation, no comparison, plus Dodge trucks cost less. Ford's marketing department is brilliant, would have to be.
Grodyman
Where does this Dodge trucks cost less come from? I also considered the Dodge and found the pricing very similiar. If you get the same options on them they are roughly the same price. Add rebates and dealer discounts and the list price means very little. A loaded Dodge 3500 4 wheel drive srw with cummins and most options lists out a little over 50k. Is that cheap? My loaded up F350 Lariat listed for $50,650. The dodge I liked was 50k and change. The Dodge is a nice truck, but in NO WAY compares in looks or build quality to Ford. Sorry, that's why I opted out. Payload capacity lower. Transmission unknown as it is a new design from the problematic Chysler autos of past years. The ONLY thing going for Dodge IS the Cummins, that's it period. The truck is even assembled in Mexico. Buying a Ford Super Duty is no mistake. Neither is buying a Dodge for that matter, they both will get the job done. I'll tell you what though, when I drive past a Dodge or park next to one with my 2006 lariat, black and biege crew cab I feel no envy for the Dodge at ALL. If I had gone Dodge, I would be having SERIOUS regrets every time I looked at a Super Duty Ford. Bottom Line.

Old 06-05-2006, 03:36 AM
AzBaddBoy
Senior User
There is a lot of very good info here guys. To reiterate some and hopefully add some new as well. I am a die hard FORD fan so there was really no question, but I kept an open mind. IMO, they all have problems. Just the luck of the draw. My dad and brother both drive the dodge. One is an 01 or 02 diesel 2500 (turd) the other is an 04 diesel 3500 (fast and very nice). They really made some improvements. They look pretty good, but (IMO) no comparison to the looks of the FORD. Here in AZ there are so many being used as work trucks and have been since the newer SD design it is unreal. Unless you live here you cannot comprehend how many there are. They get the **** beat out of them too. You literally will pass one or two every mile. They must do something right in the heavy duty market or ppl wouldn't keep buying them. I have to admit the cummins is a big selling point. Ask any dodge owner though and that is the only thing they have to brag about. Off the line power - I work with two guys that I go to dinner with practically every night. One owns an 06 duramax the other an 04 cummins. I ride in these things all the time. No envy from me. As previously stated they both sound like they are working harder than the PSD. Off the line the duramax is in back every time we drag. The cummins is chiped so cannot comment on its stock abilities other than when I drive my dads. It's fast, but never ran them side by side. The backseat size in the other two is pathetic compared to my 06 PSD and both of my buddies have commented on it several times. The ride qaulity in the newer FORD is better as well. The duramax comes in last in my book. I think I dislocated my spine just this evening riding in it. The dodge is better, but I think the FORD beats it out slightly. Like the others stated. Test drive the others and then decide. don't just take it for a 10 minute spin either. Give it some serious seat time. Go with your insticts. Sounds like that is what brought you hear in the first place. And last but not least, find a dodge or chevy that look this good
http://members.***.net/azbaddboy2/springbreak2006.jpg

Image changed to link. -Beast12

Last edited by Beast12; 06-06-2006 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:37 AM
KenZ
New User
Had a '99 Chevy CC dually 454 auto. Loved this truck. Bought a 36ft. fifth wheel in 2002 and the gasser was working WAY to hard to tow this thing around. Found a used '99 F-350 4x4 dually 7.3 psd auto 24,000miles. Pulled good. Got the same fuel milage as the 454, but the motor was good. Couldn't keep the rest of the truck from falling apart. Put more brakes and ball joints in this truck than all the other trucks I owned combined. Stranded me when the cam sensor went. I finally lost my trust in this truck. Might have been me, but no matter what the brand, if it makes me walk, its gone. I now have a '05 dodge cummins. Alot quieter than the ford, and feels like more power. Don't regret buying the ford, don't regret buying the dodge, and don't regret buying the chevy. When its time to buy another, I will check out all three. And by the way, all three brand trucks are but ugly. LOL....

Old 06-05-2006, 09:09 AM
AzBaddBoy
Senior User
Ken - I feel for a person who can't find beauty in one of the big three. Just don't go buy a ricer

Old 06-05-2006, 09:36 AM
jonredbird
Junior User
I'll tell you what though, when I drive past a Dodge or park next to one with my 2006 lariat, black and biege crew cab I feel no envy for the Dodge at ALL. If I had gone Dodge, I would be having SERIOUS regrets every time I looked at a Super Duty Ford. Bottom Line.[/QUOTE]

HEAR HEAR!! Very well said!!

Nice truck Azbaddboy, good stance.

Old 06-05-2006, 12:25 PM
moldman7n
Senior User
Originally Posted by AzBaddBoy
And last but not least, find a dodge or chevy that look this good
http://members.***.net/azbaddboy2/springbreak2006.jpg
Yeah,

Good luck on that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Beast12; 06-06-2006 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Image to link.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:06 AM
AzBaddBoy
Senior User
Thanks for the compliments. I read 4 pages of this stuff and no one had posted a single picture so thought I would be the one.

Old 06-06-2006, 12:57 AM
Gunner15a
Elder User
Originally Posted by maverickseb
OK, I've been a die hard Chevy fan for years. I've only owned Chevy Trucks. Right now I own a 2003 Chevy 2500HD bought brand spank me new. About a year after I bought it I really started noticing the Ford F250. Since then I can't get them out of my mind. I really like the Lariat. I want you Ford guys to convince me why I should choose a new Ford F250 over a GM 2500HD. Either the 6.8 V10 vs the GM Big Block 8.1 V8/Allison combo, or the 6.0 Ford PSD vs. 6.6 GM D-Max/Allison combo. Also why you think Ford's style is better than the GM. I want it all; Looks, Engines, Automatic Tran., interior, ect.....

I know both brands have had some recent problems with their Heavy Fuel motors. But why should I trust the Reliability of either brand. Cram it down my throat why Ford wins this battle and not their competition.
1) Price. GM thinks their trucks are Gods gift to mankind, and charge appropriately

2) GMAC ALSO think they're Gods gift to mankind, and won't even THINK about financeing you unless you are anointed by the Pope.

3) About 2 months ago I saw an F350 06 6.0PSD Crew Cab eat a cow and live. A BIG cow. Superficial body damage, and no engine damage what so ever even AFTER being driven WITHOUT antifreeze for 15 miles. No other brand of truck would survive a shot like that.

4) As an added option, at NO extra charge to you, you get your VERY OWN case of Super Duty swagger

Gunner15a

Old 06-06-2006, 03:00 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Kinda funny asking this on a Ford site.......LOL!!

All the people complaining about the low end grunt of the GM have not driven the 650 feet pound Dmax/6 speed Allison.......it has no equal stock; PERIOD!!! It also is the least diesel sounding of the diesels....amazing.

Looks are subjective........GMC > Chevy; both not even close to the Ford IMO (buddy with the GMC thinks SD's are ugly....go figure)

If the spy photos of the new SD are anywhere close to reality........I may not be a new Ford owner. They're hideous IMO.

The same guy for a while has been complaining about Dodges being built in Mexico....so was my Super Duty; so what???

I hope for Ford's sake the 6.4 kicks **** and hope that those spy photos are wrong.

I plan on keeping my V10 for quite a while......but if I HAD to pick a new truck at this exact moment it would be between the GMC Dmax or the 3V V10.......and the $6,000 price difference would tip the scales to the Ford.......my buddy's Dmax is only getting 3-4 MPG better than me which is not that impressive EXCEPT when you consider he's gettin that better MPG WITH 225 feet pounds MORE torque and 50 more horsepower!!

(only 200 pounds more torque than the 3V V10)

Only you can decide what looks better...........and only you know which rides and drives better for YOU.

Gotta laugh at the guy who hurt is spine in the GM...Without a doubt the GM's are the softest riding trucks out there..PM Polarbear, he sells both of 'em and has more than once commented on the comments from people on back to back test drives.

They'll both give great service, they wouldn't be so close in sales every year, each with their own fan base, if they weren't both good trucks.

Good luck, go test and give us the results......I know if my friend hadn't bought the GMC I wouldn't be such a Dmax fan right now. (like the motor, not neccessarily the truck at this particular time)

Last edited by DOHCmarauder; 06-06-2006 at 03:09 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:59 AM
AzBaddBoy
Senior User
Originally Posted by DOHCmarauder
Kinda funny asking this on a Ford site.......LOL!!

All the people complaining about the low end grunt of the GM have not driven the 650 feet pound Dmax/6 speed Allison.......it has no equal stock; PERIOD!!! It also is the least diesel sounding of the diesels....amazing.
Are there different diesel engine options? In a drag race my buddies 06 is in last place everytime. No load. Maybe he doesn't know how to drive an automatic. He has the duramax.

To clarify my spinal injury riding in the GM. I was riding in the backseat. I have to admit the front seats have more cushion than the backs or the FORD, but I think it is still a harsher ride. This is compared to the coiled FORD not leaf sprung.

Quick Reply: Convince Me to come over