1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering troubles

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 11:37 PM
gordo-man
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering troubles

Okay guys, I have checked for steering on the forums and found lots of hits for wandering, but mine is a little different. When I turn my steering wheel (either way) the wheels stick. It won't return to center, also known as going straight down the road. I chase the truck every time I turn the wheel. I have replaced the tires, ball joints and a questionable tie rod (at the pitman arm, for the second time). This problem appeared when I bought 2 new tires and headed out with my fifth wheel. Not a fun trip at 300 miles each way. I had the new tires put on the back, rotated them to the front and then got four new tires all together, (a different brand than the first two) but nothing seems to be helping. Before the new tires, the truck ran straight as an arrow, even pulling the trailer in strong winds over Easter weekend. I hope you guys, who are the GURU's of Ford, can "steer" me in the right direction.
The truck is a '01 F350 PSD 4 door LB.
Thanks in advance!

Gordo

Old 06-03-2006, 06:58 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to the site Gordo!!!

By the sounds of it, when the tires were replaced - and a wheel alignment was done, they didn't put enough castor on it.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Stewey
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What caster works best and is it year and model specific? I have the same problem with the Excursion.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:13 AM
F250Wheels
Elder User
Did any body adjust your steering box for play? A tight box will do just what you described.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:16 AM
gordo-man
New User
Thanks for the reply Big, but when I got the first set of tires, I didn't get an alignment. It just went bad with a tire change. I had the tires on the left side replaced and had the new tires put on the back. They moved my right rear tire to the front. I knew as soon as I drove the truck home that something was wrong. Is it possible that the tire place jacked up the front end with the jack in a bad location and bent something that I haven't found?

Old 06-04-2006, 10:18 AM
gordo-man
New User
I have ben playing with the box Wheels, but I first thought the problem was wandering, so I tightened the box and am slowly reversing that mistake. How far out can the box be turned out?

Old 06-04-2006, 10:32 AM
F250Wheels
Elder User
I just went though this on my 04 F250, have some one rotate the steering wheel back and forth, just the play in the middle. back out the adjuster untill there in play and then go back down till it just go's away. I only turned my adjuster 1/8 turn to tighten play out of box. Go to far and you can damage the gears.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:38 AM
gordo-man
New User
Thanks for the quick reply Wheels. I will take some more time today and see if I can get it today. My neighbors keeps telling me he like my Fix Or Repair Daily truck. Called the stealership and they said they would troubleshoot for $34.95 to start, but I think they diagnose by replacing parts to see what they can stick you with.

Old 06-04-2006, 11:01 AM
Stewey
Junior User
Originally Posted by F250Wheels
Did any body adjust your steering box for play? A tight box will do just what you described.
I've got absolutely no slop in the wheel so I tried turning out the adjuster. I turned it out 3 maybe even 4 complete rotations without any effect so I stopped. I'm wondering if someone before me tightened it too much and locked up the gear.

Old 06-04-2006, 12:00 PM
gordo-man
New User
Hey Stewey, I turned my in 3+ turns when I was going the wrong way and can only come out about 1/2 turn at a time. My neighbor, the mechanic suggested that pushing the pitman back up (with a small hammer and a drift) may help loosen up the gears when adjusting out.

Old 06-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Stewey
Junior User
GMan,
On my '04 Excursion there's little room do get anything under the pitman arm. I tried a breaker bar...just couldn't get the leverage I needed. I'm soaking the bugger in some Blaster right now. Hopefully that will loosen it up but I'm not too optimistic right now.

Old 06-04-2006, 02:23 PM
gordo-man
New User
Stewey, you aint kidding! No room under the pitman arm. I assume that is the tracking bar mount there. It is too hot to work on mine right now, do I am goning to continue this evening. i will keep you posted!

Old 06-05-2006, 06:48 PM
gordo-man
New User
Okay guys, I spent some quality time wih the truck last night and a little today. My next question is, should the adjuster screw on the steering box get to tight to turn when loosening? I have mine to a point that I can not loosen it any further. I was able to go between 1/4 and 1/2 turn after a short drive but that is no longer happening. Any more help on this would be greatly appreciated. Any luck on your Excursion Stewey?

Old 06-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Stewey
Junior User
Gordo,

I had the same luck....bad luck that is. I turned it out as much as I could but I was never able to get the splines to loosen. I just started installing my gauges this past weekend and while I was under the truck, I sprayed some more PB on the box. As I said earlier, I'm not too optimistic that this thing can be saved. At some point, I'm going to have to tell my better half that I'll need some scratch for a new box.

On a side note. I took the truck to two dealers who said there was absolutely no problem with the steering. My alignment guy, who's been in the business since dirt was invented, nearly had a heart attack when I told him what the dealerships told me.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:43 PM
gordo-man
New User
Well, I think this all but points to a gear box replacement. I was able to loosen my adjuster up last night after I pulled the mounting bracket for the track bar, I was able to get a small scissor jack (from an old VW if I recall)between the mount and the pitman arm. after a couple of cranks, I was once again able to loosen the locking nut and back out the adjuster screw. I turned it out (probably about 6-8 full turns with test drives between them) until I felt slop in the steering wheel. Then I went back in about 3/4 turn and locked it. It did loosen up some but the problem remains, just not as drastic. I don't dare go out any further because I hear it can cause damage to the inner gears. (like that would hut anything at this point) So it is time to save my pennies (dollars are more like it) so I can get a gear box before my next camping trip. I am afraid that you will probaby find the same outcome Stewey. as for the dealers, did you take the truck to them? If so, I can't possibly se how ANYONE could drive a truck in this condition and say there is nothing wrong with it. Thanks for all the input guys! Have a good night.

Quick Reply: Steering troubles