61 Econo Carb Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 09:02 PM
bamfers
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
61 Econo Carb Question

I installed the new fuel pump from NAPA along with some new fuel lines and it is pumping well. The problem is the idle.

I can start with the choke or without it (is working fine), but my truck will not idle. I am not getting any fuel in the carb at idle. If I advance the throttle, I can see the gas getting pumped in by the secondary jets. I tried adjusting the slow speed idle to no avail.

My carb is a 1 barrel Holly that has a sticker claiming that is has been rebuilt. Judging by the condition and grime I would say it was awhile ago. I bought the truck last fall after it had sat for 5 years. After draining the fuel, changing plugs, points, cap and having the carb adjusted it ran and idled. This spring when I started it up is when I began having fuel and idle problems.

Should I just rebuild, exchange for a rebuilt or look into a 2 barrel carb to switch out?

Thanks,

bamfers

Old 06-02-2006, 07:07 AM
Jimbare
all alone in the world
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would say rebuild yours. that being said, there are a couple of the holley's that the kit is around 50 bucks! kinda steep for a 1 brl carb.

also, next time you park it for a while, use some stabil or some sort of gas saver in the fuel. the gas nowdays isnt the best stuff to let sit in anything!