1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Is this like laundering money?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 02:08 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Luck Struck BIGTIME.

My Wife's "Ol' Faithful" got vandalized about 5 weeks ago along with 6/7 others. The one parked next to hers was torched. It burnt the whole drivers side of Darlenes car, totaled the front and rear doors, schored the front and rear qtrs, burnt the front seat and some interior moldings and some other delightful things.
The insurance company totaled the car, gave her a check for $800 and offered to sell it back to her for $25.00.
She asked me to fix it up for her, I told her the tools were in the garage and I would help IF I could.
So far she has replaced the 2 drivers side doors, swapped out the mechanical windows for her original elec., Sanded both Qtrs to bare metal, primed and painted them. Oh and replaced the Landau roof panel.
While the car was down she wanted to check for body rust, both front floor pan had holes, the rt rear qtr panel had a holes and the drivers side rockers were gone.
Along comes Dick to show her how to do sheet metal work the Ol' fashion way.
WE mad the floor pans, cutting, bending and hammering, WE did the rear qtr.
Darlene has made the rear rocker and is about 90% done with the front.

I've scored new electric metal shears, and new hammer and dolly set, some more Cleco's and a new air saw. Saturday she's getting me the Harbor Freight Batt. 4 tool saw and drill set.

She now understands TOOLS.

Old 05-30-2006, 02:23 PM
f1fordguy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford

Frankly, my wife wouldn't know the working end of a hammer if it hit her on the thumb. But then, I don't know how much detergent to use in the washing machine. Works well for us.

At least she knows to tell me when she hears a different noise from her Explorer.

Tim

Old 05-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Jet Jock
Elder User
Ok you got it off your chest. You confessed...now block this thread from your computer before she see it.

Old 05-30-2006, 04:47 PM
MrF-1
Junior User
Pecking Order

I am now dating the woman that I plan to marry one day soon. Well, she told me once when we first started dating that she was sick of me giving up so much time, money, and though to my old 1948 f-1. She then told me, this being in a heated argument, that I had to choose between her, and the truck.

Without skipping a beat I told her...
"Pack your bags! This one is easy! The truck has never given me any flack about hanging out with you, it has never threatened to leave me, It is easier to turn on, and honestly you both blow a great deal of hot air, but at least when the old Ford does it we are getting somewhere. So this makes my decision pretty easy.

You should have seen the look on her face. I thought in that moment she could melt concrete. The scary part to me now is I meant it. I had this speach memorised for some time as my old girlfirend also gave me crap about it. After our brake up I had always wanted to say it to her.
Well I got my chance with my current girl. It all spilled out without me really thinking about it! OOPS...
Although, I knew from that point out that she know the truck was going to stay and that I had called her bluff.
I am not sure if my choice of words was the best, but since then (3 years later) I have never heard another bad word when it came to my old Ford pickup!!
So I guess it is good to get that out of the way up front!<O</O

Old 05-30-2006, 04:52 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mrf1, you are my new hero!!!

Old 05-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Jet Jock
Elder User
MrF1

Do you have a pair of them bull things hanging from the rear bumper of the F1?
If not you need some. Man I like it.

But I can't complain guys mine never has said a word and I have spent a lot.

Bill

Old 05-30-2006, 05:34 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Mr F1, you are one up on most of us, but I got to warn you -- AFTER you say "I Do" she says "You Don't!"

On more than one occasion I found that after the ceremony the lady really did not like fishing, romance, beer, or old trucks!

However, they always like community property!

Old 05-30-2006, 05:54 PM
MrF-1
Junior User
Cool

OUCH I never thought about that. I bet she is waiting! OOPS!! Well it sounded like a good plan. I guess I better start liking the tast of my own foot!!

Old 05-30-2006, 06:19 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Ax, I've purchased race tires for my wife, also. She only wanted to know if they were faster than the previous set. One year, she got a camshaft under the tree. She's behind me on the truck, she even picked the color.

Old 05-30-2006, 08:31 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,911 Likes on 1,865 Posts
My ol' lady (and she doesn't mind me calling her that) and I have been together for 15 years and married for 11. She doesn't complain about my truck taking up the whole garage (or about the 2 trucks, 2 motorcycles, 1 vw, and various roadster parts) She isn't too interested in the old car hobby and doesnt enjoy going to car shows and swap meets with me (and I don't enjoy it when she goes either) but we both know that and go about our business. We both give and take where its important and get along great. Both of us have had out share of ugly relationships and learned how to make things work.

Life is good!
Bobby

Old 05-30-2006, 08:34 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Lol, no, you're not laundering money, just hiding it from the wife. laundering means you "put money here, then get it from there".

I have a PayPal account that I keep all my sales in from, kinda the same "hiding" you'
re doing. Problem is, seems the only guys who pay me via paypal are for 10-20 dollar items...when I sell sonmthing for 100+, in comes a MO and the wife loves to take those to the bank...seems her free spending money is building quicker than mine...and dang, it's all my old stuff that's being sold!!!

Old 05-31-2006, 03:53 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,374 Likes on 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
My Wife's "Ol' Faithful" got vandalized about 5 weeks ago along with 6/7 others.
Darlene has made the rear rocker and is about 90% done with the front.
Saturday she's getting me the Harbor Freight Batt. 4 tool saw and drill set.
A marriage made in heaven.
My wife isn`t into vehicles but always supports any of their purchases/parts ect. I might want/need to make.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:52 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MrF1, I suspect that around here you are "Wild Bill", but at home your "sweet William".

Old 05-31-2006, 10:44 PM
55wagon
Senior User
My dad has been "Laundering Money" since I was knee high to a grass hopper, I'm 27 now and he put away enough to help me with some of my toys and buy a 40' ford pickup (needs resto) a 64' Ranchero w/ an origional 4-speed PLUS his 65' Mercury Comet 404 wagon w/ more green stuff to spare. Wish I had that kind of discipline.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:55 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
That's the way my brother bought his dragster, had it nearly a year before his wife even knew he had it.