fun, fun, fun!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 02:23 PM
Six Niner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fun, fun, fun!

well ive been battling a smoking issue on my 390 since its been rebuilt. at first we thought valve guides. they were a little loose so new bronze guides and pc seals were put in. that didnt work so we figured it was the intake. after resealing the intake a few times that doesnt seem to be the culprate either. so i guess we're down to the rings? it smokes pretty much all the time, more when you accelerate. im going to run a cornpression test tonite and go from there. gee that would be great if i have to take the motor back down again.

Old 05-25-2006, 04:21 PM
FalconStng
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd first check to make sure you don't have too much oil pooling up on top of the heads. If you do, it gets sucked down the intake guides and will cause smoking/high oil consumption. I've learned the hard way on this. The general consensus is that it is the result of worn out rocker arms, although several people including myself had issues with complete adjustable rocker assemblies from DSC.

Good Luck!

Tracy

Old 05-25-2006, 07:57 PM
charles jones
Elder User
It will pool big time if the rocker shaft is installed upside down, Dont even ask how I know this.

Old 05-26-2006, 08:21 AM
Six Niner
Senior User
well ive got new adjustable assemblies from napa, so it shouldnt be a worn out problem. how do install a shaft upside down?

Old 05-26-2006, 08:52 AM
charles jones
Elder User
The oiling ports are turned down when installed correctly with a new replacement shaft. I installed my Dove roller rockers on my new TRW shafts on my work bench and then installed them. I got in a hurry and didnt do my usual double check of everything and the right side was installed with the oil holes up. I am running a new stock oil pump and it just flooded the right bank with oil that was picked up by the PCV and used a quart per 100 miles or something like that. I found the problem (with a lot of help) and turned the shaft over and everything is fine. Reusing stock shafts you turn the notch towards the right side when building the rockers and that turns the second set of oil holes towards your lifters. If I remember that right. Good luck