Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Muffler Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 12:03 PM
Maine_99SD
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muffler Question

I have the early 99 PSD in my F250. I noticed that the bottom of my muffler is rusting out. I imagine it will not be long before she opens up. I do not really have the $$$ right now to replace this, as I am between jobs. If it opens up and starts to allow exhaust to leak out, will it #1: Cause any damage to my motor, and #2: Will it get loud?

This is my first Diesel, so I am learnign as I go. I bought the truck brand new and it was flawless. However the last couple years, the truck seems to have more ailments than an old man. But I own it, and I love it. So it stays with me. Especially with only 85K miles on it.

Thanks All

Old 05-25-2006, 12:28 PM
westpsd
Senior User
I don't believe that it will hurt anything, nor will it be loud. You probably have a CAT in front of the muffler anyway. If you want a cheap way to keep the exhaust intact, purchase a piece of 3 1/2 pipe long enough to bridge where the muffler is, rotate the S pipe between the CAT and the muffler and weld it back in. You can also purchase a Walker Big Truck Muffler for about $50 and do the same thing. These trucks are not loud straight piped without a CAT or muffler.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:00 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do like westpsd did and just install a straight piece of 3.5" pipe in place of the muffler. If you can weld then you can do it for VERY cheap... you can pick up a few foot section of pipe from a random exhaust shop, maybe for free. If not, you can have a shop do it... I was charged $60 to remove my muffler and weld in a straight pipe. Here's what it should look like after it's done:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...86590301iSCvgI

Old 05-25-2006, 10:10 PM
dadsgreenpsd
Senior User
C'mon, pull the cat and muffler
Then when you go under the I-95 overpass on Broadway in Bangor, you won't regret it! (I don't know where you are, but that is my favorite spot )