1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help - Electrical draw

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 08:15 PM
atencati
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help - Electrical draw

Couldn't find a similar proble through search and ay help would be great.

03 f350 XLT 6.8L 14k miles <- (no typo)

Red Top Optima

I have had a draw that completely killed the stock battery as well as the first Red top. The Optima was under warranty so I got a new on free, but I am loathe to install it without discovering the source first. I went to check for draw but my multimeter is dead so I had to use the old test lamp method until tomorrow. I isolated the draw to fuse 35, the gauge cluster dome light circuit (of course) but have not been able to isolate it further. Here are a few things that have happened and I have tried:

Radio was found on at full volume after truck sat for 3 days

dome light on for no reason after truck sat for a few days

glove box light on for no reason with box closed

with test lamp in line between - terminal and ground cable there is a ticking noise from the gauge cluster.

if I disconnect the radio the ticking turns to a high pitched wail

removed all bulbs and disconnected light switches, draw remains

If I pull the fuse the draw disappears

we had the windshield replaced and it leaked into the dash and flooded the glove box and behind the dash

thats about all I can think of for now, anything ring a bell????

THANKS!!!!!

Andy

Old 05-24-2006, 11:55 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing I can think of that all of these have in common is that they are all part of the accessory delay circuit, which allows the power to remain on for 10 minutes after the vehicle is shut-off. This is also the same circuit that is supposed to remove all power from most of the electrical system, in case you leave your headlights on, it's supposed to shut everything down. I'm not exactly sure, but I believe it's part of the vehicle security module (VSM) on vehicles with remote keyless entry (RKE), or part of a Generic Electronics Module on vehicles that don't have RKE. The VSM is located to the right of the gas pedal above the tranny hump. I'm not exactly sure where the GEM is. If this got water in it then it may be leaving the power active, draining your battery. You would have to get up there and check it out to be sure.

Old 05-25-2006, 06:26 AM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well ,within the instrument cluster are 2 relays that are not repairable(need a whole new instrument cluster) if its that.you should put fuse 35 back in and the battery.start the truck with radio on,shut the truck off.see if the acces delay shuts down after 5 mins or if you open the door of the truck.
If it doesn't, pull fuse 41 while its playing, if it shuts down then you have isolated it to those relays which are not replaceable. K115 and k333 are the relays ,but you only see them on a wiring diagram.they are internal to the instrument cluster.
Rich