New To Towing-any Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 10:33 PM
Jawbreaker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New To Towing-any Advice

I have a 06 f350 4x4 dually and plan to purchase a 36 ft 5 th wheel with a dry wt of 13,500. The truck will only be used to get the RV up to a semi-permanent location, a soft dirt road, never the less. After that, towing for service if needed, or maybe a short trip a year, maybe. I am in florida and will stay in florida, no hills to speak of. I am looking at the Reese Signature 18K 5 wheel because of the floating base head due to the irregular 1/2 mile sand trail road off the main road to the RV's landing site. Since we don't have plans for extended towing, we wanted the larger quality RV rather than trying to match it with a larger truck other than the F350 dually. My previous truck was a f 250 4x4 5.4 I don't believe this will be a problem for my application ? Any comments or suggestions or advice would be appreciated from those in the know. I believe the f 350 can do this job with ease. Thanks

Old 05-26-2006, 12:23 AM
bneafus
Elder User
Hey Buddy,sorry no one responded yet...I assume that's a 6.0 diesel? Nothing against the V10, just not familiar. That dually is made to pull!! I've got an F350 SRW 6.0 diesel to pull my 37' toy hauler at 10,000 dry weight. It does great! I've heard that the dually adds more stability, that'll be great! You shouldn't have any probs... I've done some pretty heavy mountain hauling here in Colorado..Can't imagine you'l come close to matching that,and had no issues..Let me know if you have any other ?'s

Old 05-26-2006, 08:27 AM
Jawbreaker
Junior User
Thanks-- any advice on the 5th wheel hitch by Reese with the tilting head?

Old 05-26-2006, 11:30 AM
Workin4ALivin
Senior User
Rees use to have problems with the jaw mechanism. The two piece design was not the best. They may have redesigned their hitch I’m not sure.

The best design locks the pin with either a solid bar or a J hook design. There are several good 5<SUP>th</SUP> wheel hitches out there with this design and two way tilting head.

My hitch is a Valley Hitch under bed mount. It is rated for 16K lbs., has two way tilt head, is easy to install/remove from bed of truck, but the best part is when its removed there are no rails in the bed just 4 holes that are covered with supplied plugs.

I got mine from hitches4less.com and installed it myself. Ran into a snag due to frame changes from pre05 to 05. It was my fault didn’t notice part year listing 92-94. Hitches4less was extremely helpful. They worked with Valley in getting the correct parts to me. Turned out Valley had not gone into production for rails that fit an 05 yet and production would not start for another 30 days. When Valley finally began production they (get this) produced 3 rail kits for the 2005. Hitches4less was able to get the rails to me 2 days after Valley started production, direct from the factory.

I checked their web site and didn’t see the UBS (Under Bed System) listed. Check out their site and give them a call. I paid $718 including shipping for mine. I’m sure they cost more now due to steel prices.

Old 05-26-2006, 11:08 PM
bneafus
Elder User
I've got a Pullrite Superglide hitch on my short bed. It's great but expensive unless you need it!